Rugby World Cup

I enjoy watching rugby union, prefer league but the league scene (Jiffy aside) in South and West Wales is virtually non existent. One thing I can't stand about Rugby though are the fans, utter wankers to a man both Welsh and English. Welsh fans spend an obscene amount of money on tickets for internationals at the Millenium whilst their local rugby clubs are struggling for both finances and players. The majority of them are pretty clueless about the sport also. Both they and the rugby loving welsh media have shat on football for generations.

I think Wales are going to do a number on England this Saturday, despite the many injuries we've had I thought England were incredibly poor against an incredibly poor Fiji as well. We just need to put the shits up England and get the twats in "twickers" panicking early on. Also anyone going on Saturday please try and change up the songs you sing. Swing low every 5 minutes leads to a very tedious atmosphere.

I enjoy watching rugby union, prefer league but the league scene (Jiffy aside) in South and West Wales is virtually non existent. One thing I can't stand about Rugby though are the fans, utter wankers to a man both Welsh and English. Welsh fans spend an obscene amount of money on tickets for internationals at the Millenium whilst their local rugby clubs are struggling for both finances and players. The majority of them are pretty clueless about the sport also. Both they and the rugby loving welsh media have shat on football for generations./QUOTE]
Theres a bit of truth in that. The issue with internationals is that most rugby clubs now sell their tickets to people who want to go up to the game for a day on the piss. This is why there are so many women at the ground these days with daffodils on their heads. The clubs want their members to stay in the club to watch it for the ale money it brings in. Perhaps if there were less internationals like in the old days then this wouldnt happen so much. But the major issue with rugby in Wales these days is the kids dont really want to play anymore. Sweeping generalisation as this may be, there is truth in it. Rugby hurts, and kids dont fancy it as much as they used to. They are increasingly lazy people with nice bedrooms and Xboxes and Facebook to play with. Football has taken over as well, either playing it or watching it on Sky, BT, streams, etc. As they get older, these kids in Wales become clones of eachother - you must see this living there as I do. They want to get on the gear, get in a gym, get on the sunbed, tattoo themselves up, grow a beard and artificially inflate their muscles with shit to look like their mates. Everything about playing rugby and training and getting better at it and belonging to a club is anathema to these people.
In addition, there are now too many rugby clubs in South Wales. This may sound ironic given the problem they are having, but is contributing to it. I live in Swansea and within 8 miles of my house there are 7 local clubs, none of whom can put out 2 senior teams on a regular basis. The clubs exist from when villages were independent entities and people wanted to represent them. They need to face reality and merge now; for example Resolven, Cwmgwrach and Glynneath all have rugby clubs and in effect are all one place.
Anyway, Wales are struggling for players now in the tournament, especially props. My phone is on just in case.....

The Japan result has been a tonic but otherwise, it's all gone according to plan (and, sadly, will probably continue to do so).
That said the early stages of the Football World Cup and the first week of the Olympics can be a chore, too.

What has surprised me is the antipathy of the RL posters on this thread. Truly, the green-eyed monster is alive and well. Put simply, if League were that great a spectator sport, it's World Cup would be accorded the same status as the Union equivalent.
The sad thing is that Union seems determined to go down the same bash, crash and dash route. It's not half the game it used to be. There's no longer a berth for every girth. It's actually dangerous. If people are retiring through injury at 26 or 27, the rules need looking at.

I enjoy watching rugby union, prefer league but the league scene (Jiffy aside) in South and West Wales is virtually non existent. One thing I can't stand about Rugby though are the fans, utter wankers to a man both Welsh and English. Welsh fans spend an obscene amount of money on tickets for internationals at the Millenium whilst their local rugby clubs are struggling for both finances and players. The majority of them are pretty clueless about the sport also. Both they and the rugby loving welsh media have shat on football for generations.

I think Wales are going to do a number on England this Saturday, despite the many injuries we've had I thought England were incredibly poor against an incredibly poor Fiji as well. We just need to put the shits up England and get the twats in "twickers" panicking early on. Also anyone going on Saturday please try and change up the songs you sing. Swing low every 5 minutes leads to a very tedious atmosphere.

It's Wales' cup final so despite the injuries I'm sure you'll put in a performance. England were poor, I completely agree. Got off to a good start then seemed to suffer from the occassion and made so many handling errors and lost so much ball in the ruck. Fiji also failed to take their chances and England could have lost that game but fitness and our superior bench cemented the win and the bonus point made it an excellent result.

Wales should have made the final 4 years ago. With so many big names out it would be an epic achievement to win this World Cup and on paper you'd now expect Australia and England to advance but we don't know how Australia will perform, personally I expect them to make the final and possibly win it - in their typical fashion.

Should be a good game and it would be disappointing for England to lose as we should be beating such an under strength Welsh side. I just hope it's a good game and that there are no further injuries to either side. The Welsh have overtrained in my opinion and these injuries are largely down to that.

Theres a bit of truth in that. The issue with internationals is that most rugby clubs now sell their tickets to people who want to go up to the game for a day on the piss. This is why there are so many women at the ground these days with daffodils on their heads. The clubs want their members to stay in the club to watch it for the ale money it brings in. Perhaps if there were less internationals like in the old days then this wouldnt happen so much. But the major issue with rugby in Wales these days is the kids dont really want to play anymore. Sweeping generalisation as this may be, there is truth in it. Rugby hurts, and kids dont fancy it as much as they used to. They are increasingly lazy people with nice bedrooms and Xboxes and Facebook to play with. Football has taken over as well, either playing it or watching it on Sky, BT, streams, etc. As they get older, these kids in Wales become clones of eachother - you must see this living there as I do. They want to get on the gear, get in a gym, get on the sunbed, tattoo themselves up, grow a beard and artificially inflate their muscles with shit to look like their mates. Everything about playing rugby and training and getting better at it and belonging to a club is anathema to these people.
In addition, there are now too many rugby clubs in South Wales. This may sound ironic given the problem they are having, but is contributing to it. I live in Swansea and within 8 miles of my house there are 7 local clubs, none of whom can put out 2 senior teams on a regular basis. The clubs exist from when villages were independent entities and people wanted to represent them. They need to face reality and merge now; for example Resolven, Cwmgwrach and Glynneath all have rugby clubs and in effect are all one place.
Anyway, Wales are struggling for players now in the tournament, especially props. My phone is on just in case.....

Spot on. I live a bit further west than you in Carms. This year one of the seconds divisions has folded because they couldn't sustain a league. Quins, one of the biggest and well funded clubs in West Wales no long has a seconds team! Age grade rugby round here has been struggling for years, my mate was saying only the other day that his son is playing a year above his age, not because he's too good but because their wasn't enough boys his age to have a team. That was unthinkable when I was a kid. A lot of small town and village sides are relying on older heads to continue because very few youngsters are coming through. Football on the other hand is on the rise, more and more sides are being formed and I would now say that more people are playing football on the weekend than Rugby in West Wales which is incredible for a supposed rugby heartland.

I was brought up here and internationals aside there was zero interest in rugby. Throughout school every day we talked about football, transfers, the weekends games etc. I can't remember ever talking about Scarlets or the ospreys. Swansea ST holders outnumbered Scarlets ST holders by about 10 - 1 by the time I left school. Problem rugby have now is that due to so many teams folding unless you are any good there's going to be no one for you to play for. The only teams that are going to be left are the teams that play to win and pay their players.

Last edited:
Spot on. I live a bit further west than you in Carms. This year one of the seconds divisions has folded because they couldn't sustain a league. Quins, one of the biggest and well funded clubs in West Wales no long has a seconds team! Age grade rugby round here has been struggling for years, my mate was saying only the other day that his son is playing a year above his age, not because he's too good but because their wasn't enough boys his age to have a team. That was unthinkable when I was a kid. A lot of small town and village sides are relying on older heads to continue because very few youngsters are coming through. Football on the other hand is on the rise, more and more sides are being formed and I would now say that more people are playing football on the weekend than Rugby in West Wales which is incredible for a supposed rugby heartland.

I was brought up here and internationals aside there was zero interest in rugby. Throughout school every day we talked about football, transfers, the weekends games etc. I can't remember ever talking about Scarlets or the ospreys. Swansea ST holders outnumbered Scarlets ST holders by about 10 - 1 by the time I left school. Problem rugby have now is that due to so many teams folding unless you are any good there's going to be no one for you to play for. The only teams that are going to be left are the teams that play to win and pay their players.
The problem with the Scarlets is unless its 50p to get in to watch the game they are all too tight to pay to go in. Heart of rugby country my ass

Well Lancaster has made a pretty awful call there and it will be Farrell at 10. England's on semblance of creativity comes from Ford, so if we're going to win then it's going to be dull as hell. I'd back Wales to win this putting a lot of pressure on the Australia game for England.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.