Rule Changes | EFL & PL | 2023/24

SebastianBlue

President, International Julian Alvarez Fan Club

Quick Overview:

1. Referees now obliged to specifically track the time ball is not in play.
  2. ‘World Cup Style’ added time to account for all stoppages, including goal celebrations
  3. Broader definition of “clear and impactful actions” to waste time beyond merely kicking the ball away.
  4. More leniency shown to regular “contact” between players, supposedly leading to fewer fouls being called for non-careless or reckless play.
  5. Crowding a referee will now result in immediate yellow cards for one or more of the players doing so — only one player (likely the captain) is allowed to approach the referee to discuss incidents.
  6. Only one coach will be allowed to be in the technical area at any given time, any violation of this restriction will lead to an immediate yellow card.
  7. The threshold for policing manager and bench behaviour has been raised, meaning more strict enforcement and likely more red cards for aggressive behaviour.
  8. Staff members receiving a red will no longer be allowed to watch the match from the stands; they now must be “out of sight” of the pitch.
—————————————————————————————

As far as the impact of these rules on City, I reckon they can be categorised thus (if they are actually properly and fairly enforced, of course):

Potentially Helps City
1, 2, 3

Potentially Hurts City
4, 6

Neutral
5, 7, 8

I think the biggest change that could cause us problems is #4, as it will likely lead to more niggly challenges on our players (especially Kev, Jack, Phil, Mateo, and Bernie).

It will be quite interesting to see if the increased added time actually lasts. I may be misremembering, but I could have sworn the first PL match round after the World Cup saw similarly larger amounts of first and second half stoppage time being added, but that almost immediately stopped with the next match round.

But, as we have all said ad nauseam, time wasting has become egregious, especially in our matches—often starting in the first 15 minutes of our games if the opposition haven’t yet conceded—and fans are being shafted by it, only getting to see less than 55 minutes of actual football per match (that term itself being used loosely for the likes of Everton, Forest, or United).

How do you think these changes will play out over the season?

Bets for which match round the additional added time change is abandoned?

My bet is the round immediately following the first time Klopp or Ten Hag complain about it (after their team drops points due to a last minute goal).

Like all these changes. Particularly the first. I remember seeing after a particularly maddening home defeat to Palace the ball had only actually been in play for 27 minutes of the 90!

Quick Overview:

1. Referees now obliged to specifically track the time ball is not in play.
  2. ‘World Cup Style’ added time to account for all stoppages, including goal celebrations
  3. Broader definition of “clear and impactful actions” to waste time beyond merely kicking the ball away.
  4. More leniency shown to regular “contact” between players, supposedly leading to fewer fouls being called for non-careless or reckless play.
  5. Crowding a referee will now result in immediate yellow cards for one or more of the players doing so — only one player (likely the captain) is allowed to approach the referee to discuss incidents.
  6. Only one coach will be allowed to be in the technical area at any given time, any violation of this restriction will lead to an immediate yellow card.
  7. The threshold for policing manager and bench behaviour has been raised, meaning more strict enforcement and likely more red cards for aggressive behaviour.
  8. Staff members receiving a red will no longer be allowed to watch the match from the stands; they now must be “out of sight” of the pitch.
—————————————————————————————

As far as the impact of these rules on City, I reckon they can be categorised thus (if they are actually properly and fairly enforced, of course):

Potentially Helps City
1, 2, 3

Potentially Hurts City
4, 6

Neutral
5, 7, 8

I think the biggest change that could cause us problems is #4, as it will likely lead to more niggly challenges on our players (especially Kev, Jack, Phil, Mateo, and Bernie).

It will be quite interesting to see if the increased added time actually lasts. I may be misremembering, but I could have sworn the first PL match round after the World Cup saw similarly larger amounts of first and second half stoppage time being added, but that almost immediately stopped with the next match round.

But, as we have all said ad nauseam, time wasting has become egregious, especially in our matches—often starting in the first 15 minutes of our games if the opposition haven’t yet conceded—and fans are being shafted by it, only getting to see less than 55 minutes of actual football per match (that term itself being used loosely for the likes of Everton, Forest, or United).

How do you think these changes will play out over the season?

Bets for which match round the additional added time change is abandoned?

My bet is the round immediately following the first time Klopp or Ten Hag complain about it (after their team drops points due to a last minute goal).
5 has been around for a few seasons , we have been penalised for a couple of players approaching a ref more than is fair considering what the red shirts do , their whole team harrass refs and tell them and the linesman to fuck off routinely

3 means more cards for eddie than even before despite us playing slowly out of the back

I'd love it the powers that be can stop nosey TV crews muscling in on the players on the pitch for "sound bites."

Last season they were getting increasingly brazen with invading team huddles and teamtalks, one camera crew went directly under the legs of a City player to "listen" in on a Gundo pep talk.

Plus the on pitch TV pundits pleading with players to interupt their celebrations to talk to them, "Jack, Jack, Jack talk to us."

These generally seem like sensible and decent changes. The issue is how consistently they'll actually be enforced.

Prem refs seem to have a certain arrogant, up-their-own-arses vibe to them and have either ignored or been super inconsistent with new rules in previous seasons.

I'd love the "added time" rule to be applied properly and consistently. It could change the game and massively discourage time wasting from certain sides. The one about not crowding the ref would also be brilliant to see enforced. Those two rules alone basically wipe out most of Arteta's strategy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.