Running thread

Salford Triathlon is a good one to start, that's obviously if you're local. Plenty of them though mate, just start with a 1000m swim, 25mile bike and 10k run. You can even find smaller tri's or Duathlons if you want to get started on it.

This will be my first Ironman so looking forward to it but with some trepidation......

Cheers Inchy - heard the Salford one mentioned a few times so I'll def look into it. Do you tend to require your own bike (I have one but it's a basic hybrid that I haven't ridden for some tome) or can you hire on the day?
Good luck with the Ironman...incredible feats of endurance but I'm sure you've put the time and research in.

Cheers Inchy - heard the Salford one mentioned a few times so I'll def look into it. Do you tend to require your own bike (I have one but it's a basic hybrid that I haven't ridden for some tome) or can you hire on the day?
Good luck with the Ironman...incredible feats of endurance but I'm sure you've put the time and research in.

You'll need your own bike mate. I've seen some do it on a hybrid and even mountain bike so it can be done but i guess it'll take a while lol.

There's a sprint distance at Salford which is 750m/13miles/5k. Might be a good place to start.

Official stats last year.

1022 miles completed. Even more on the bike and over 60,000 metres swimming.

Aims this year.

5k, under 21 minutes.
10K under 44 minutes.
Half marathon under 1.40 again, (only managed this one previously at 1.38.)
Full marathon under 3.45. (PB is 3.57)

With Cyprus and Manchester full marathons already booked for March and April i need to get my training started this weekend. Plus Tour de Manc (125 mile bike ride) in May then my full distance Ironman in June it looks like i've a busy year ahead............

superb.
incredible fitness and enjoy your Strava .

Back in the day I was an excellent runner and to be honest more a stayer over course and distance than an outright sprinter. I was always placed in school runs and carried it forward into my teens and forties. Anyway I digress because up until fairly recently I could easily jog two lampposts and walk one just to keep in tune with my inner self and then My Planter started and rather a rather painful debacle but thankfully sporadic. Anyway now I have an intense sharp burning sensation on my other foot on the right inside of my leg about two cliks above the ankle bone which is induced when I run so I have stopped for now. I am awaiting another appointment at Viccie Hospital in Accie but in the mean time have self diagnosed myself as having TTS. Walking at the moment on and off 8 mile a day and have just bought into three pair of Rolls Royce dual layered socks at circa £15 a pair from Winfields of Haslingdon and am only using using my Cat boots that offer me tip top support. That's all I have to say for now except whether running jogging or walking listen to what your body is saying and above all else keep on moving.

Salford Triathlon is a good one to start, that's obviously if you're local. Plenty of them though mate, just start with a 1000m swim, 25mile bike and 10k run. You can even find smaller tri's or Duathlons if you want to get started on it.

This will be my first Ironman so looking forward to it but with some trepidation......
Wouldn't even know where to start training for Ironman - fair play to you.......

Need a bit of advice.
I've been running off and on for about two years. My work tends to dictate when i can run. I tend to do 5k on average, about twice a week.
Of late, i've hardly done any running. So i'm determined to make much more effort. (every other day)
So far, i didn't feel the need for any special running shoes. I've just been running in a pair of Adidas ZX Flux.
I have been looking at the Nike range of shoes. Not for the badge, more that i don't know what shoes are good. The top end Nike stuff looks ok, but i feel that is more for the dedicated runner.
I'm overweight and 50, so thought something more forgiving rather than fast would be more suitable. My ankles and knee/hips are already showing signs or wear etc.
I've just bought a pair of Nike Air Zoom Vomero 14 Running Shoes in the sales (£72). The reviews seem to point to be a good balance between comfort and speed.
However, while reading the reviews, most people indicated they have several pair of shoes that they rotate.
Is it needed to have several pairs of different shoes and keep rotating?
If so, what would people recommended based on my above needs. Some advice on other brands would be helpful.
Although i would prefer not spending silly money, i can afford to get the right shoes for me etc.

Need a bit of advice.
I've been running off and on for about two years. My work tends to dictate when i can run. I tend to do 5k on average, about twice a week.
Of late, i've hardly done any running. So i'm determined to make much more effort. (every other day)
So far, i didn't feel the need for any special running shoes. I've just been running in a pair of Adidas ZX Flux.
I have been looking at the Nike range of shoes. Not for the badge, more that i don't know what shoes are good. The top end Nike stuff looks ok, but i feel that is more for the dedicated runner.
I'm overweight and 50, so thought something more forgiving rather than fast would be more suitable. My ankles and knee/hips are already showing signs or wear etc.
I've just bought a pair of Nike Air Zoom Vomero 14 Running Shoes in the sales (£72). The reviews seem to point to be a good balance between comfort and speed.
However, while reading the reviews, most people indicated they have several pair of shoes that they rotate.
Is it needed to have several pairs of different shoes and keep rotating?
If so, what would people recommended based on my above needs. Some advice on other brands would be helpful.
Although i would prefer not spending silly money, i can afford to get the right shoes for me etc.
I just use the same pair until they wear out. I currently have a pair of Brooks. I went to a running shop in Altrincham and they assessed my gait and recommended these. If you're using them a lot, it's worth getting some professional advice.

It was raining when I was about to run earlier, so I went to the gym instead. I ran 10k in 55:41 on the treadmill. It's quite boring running on the treadmill, but at least warm and dry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.