Running thread

Interesting reading some of your marathon pace times. Most of you seem to be aiming between 3 Hours and 3 hours 30. That is well out of my reach if I'm honest. So well done
Its my first time this weekend and I'm s**ting myself. I've managed to get 18 and a 20 mile run in the last few weeks and just tapering down now. Just a couple of 3 miler's this week. If I get 4 hours 15 I'll be happy
I've had an up and down preparation. I've had a few injuries which seem to have subsided thank god.

A little concern of mine is when I completed the 20 mile last week. The last 4 miles was a struggle but still felt OK once finished but I deteriorated in the hours after and felt awful, I felt sick had shivers etc. I assume my body was in some kind of shock. I did have a few beers the night before. I also had a large porridge 2 hours before my run and had the SIS Gels throughout my run. Has anyone else experienced this? I assume I didn't have enough food in the system.

It is my first marathon aswell and similarly I am s**ting myself. I have kept running the Marathon low key but obviously its been mentioned a lot of late, which I think has ramped up the worry, that I might not finish. Must be much worse for those running for Charities, with so many people aware of their under

Not helped of late but due to a few niggles I have dropped the number of runs undertaken and whether its my left ankle, calf, knee always seems to be something bothering me lately.

I have ran a few long runs, peaking at 22, in August but similarly I really do not know how the body will cope after 18 miles, when running at a quicker pace than my LSR and then trying to maintain it for longer.

I am determined to enjoy it on the day once I cross that start line.

It is my first marathon aswell and similarly I am s**ting myself. I have kept running the Marathon low key but obviously its been mentioned a lot of late, which I think has ramped up the worry, that I might not finish. Must be much worse for those running for Charities, with so many people aware of their under

Not helped of late but due to a few niggles I have dropped the number of runs undertaken and whether its my left ankle, calf, knee always seems to be something bothering me lately.

I have ran a few long runs, peaking at 22, in August but similarly I really do not know how the body will cope after 18 miles, when running at a quicker pace than my LSR and then trying to maintain it for longer.

I am determined to enjoy it on the day once I cross that start line.

You'll be fine dont worry.

But if you are worried about niggling pain when in your run.

Can't recommend this https://groceries.asda.com/product/...ple-action-anti-inflammatory-gel/910000412451

Its amazing to put on and have pain relief. I rubbed some of this pre and during my trail half marathon last month.

Can't recommend this https://groceries.asda.com/product/...ple-action-anti-inflammatory-gel/910000412451

Its amazing to put on and have pain relief. I rubbed some of this pre and during my trail half marathon last month.

Cheers.

Cheers. Funnily enough I an using that at the moment and you are correct it is excellent. Tried Voltarol and a Tescos own brand and don't seem half as effective.

Probably a placebo effect but I do like the ‘warming’ sensation a couple of minutes in. Makes you feel much more confident it is working.

Cheers.

Cheers. Funnily enough I an using that at the moment and you are correct it is excellent. Tried Voltarol and a Tescos own brand and don't seem half as effective.

Probably a placebo effect but I do like the ‘warming’ sensation a couple of minutes in. Makes you feel much more confident it is working.

I agree.

I've been using Hemp cream which is great aswell.

But this little tube is superb for the price AND it smells ok to :-D

Just a little hint of advice for those of you doing manchester this weekend, I see a few of you are getting nervous, I was exactly the same in the weeks leading up to london, and I think it did me no good at all, mind was all over the place as was sleep and my nutrition, didnt eat properly before the race at all and paid the price. Im feeling a lot calmer about manchester on sunday and Im hoping that will transfer to the race.
Maybe take a bit of time away from running for a few days and try not to stress about it, easier said than done I know, eat well and get as much sleep as you can.
Best of luck folks

Edit*
Oh and when thinking about times try to remember when you first said "Im going to run a marathon" I bet you didnt say "Im going to run a marathon in world record time" just go back to your "why" the times are nice but they really dont matter.
Also whatever you do dont try to run like I do and go far too quick at the start, slow and steady is the best advice Ive been given, not that Ive figured out how to use that advice yet!!

Last edited:
Just a little hint of advice for those of you doing manchester this weekend, I see a few of you are getting nervous, I was exactly the same in the weeks leading up to london, and I think it did me no good at all, mind was all over the place as was sleep and my nutrition, didnt eat properly before the race at all and paid the price. Im feeling a lot calmer about manchester on sunday and Im hoping that will transfer to the race.
Maybe take a bit of time away from running for a few days and try not to stress about it, easier said than done I know, eat well and get as much sleep as you can.
Best of luck folks

Edit*
Oh and when thinking about times try to remember when you first said "Im going to run a marathon" I bet you didnt say "Im going to run a marathon in world record time" just go back to your "why" the times are nice but they really dont matter.
Also whatever you do dont try to run like I do and go far too quick at the start, slow and steady is the best advice Ive been given, not that Ive figured out how to use that advice yet!!

What would you recommend eating before anyway? Im not too nervous to be fair even though I’m very undertrained but on the plus side I’m injury free and feel fine.

What would you recommend eating before anyway? Im not too nervous to be fair even though I’m very undertrained but on the plus side I’m injury free and feel fine.

I am going for porridge with banana for breakfast three and a half hours before and then an energy drink and cliff bar closer to the start. It might be worth sticking with how you usually fuel, race day might not be the best day to mix things up.

Eat as much as necessary to keep the fuel levels up without risking getting stomach cramp near the start (i.e. not much within an hour of race start). Try to keep getting something down you during the race and start relatively early (don't wait for mile 15 then start taking gels, it's too late then). It's all about staving off the transition from glycogen to fat stores for as long as possible and smoothing the transition through that. Little and often. Marathons are as much a logistical exercise in fuelling as anything!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.