Running thread

3.28, quite a way off target, but a huge learning experience
Is it your first official marathon ? ( apart from the usual unofficial ones you run at 3 am a couple of times per week !). If so, it's a great time, you will learn and improve a lot if you do a few more. Based on your split times you could probably knock 15 minutes off just with more sensible pacing. The there's a few more years training, nutrition etc...and I reckon sub 3 is the long term possibility.

Well.done.

Cheers. Im hoping for similar (3:12-3:20) on sunday but not quite feeling it at the minute. I think I am going to try and hit a 7:29 pace over the first half and see what is left, if any, in the tank.

I was going to pace myself at around 7:10 myself but I think the usual hang on, grin and bear it does not apply the same when you have 8-10 miles left in that state. First marathon, so like you say respect the distance.
Based on what I've seen of your posts and times I think aiming for a 7.30 pace in the first half is a sensible plan.

Consciously try to slow it down early on. You might find that pace a bit slow and you will naturally go a bit quicker, but that's fine.

Ideally you will achieve 7.15 - 7.30 pace for each and every mile and that should give optimal performance. The race only starts at 20 miles. Good luck.

Ps if its your first marathon, don't get too hung up on the time. Err on the cautious side and learn what works for you. Then improve times on subsequent marathons.

Last edited:
Is it your first official marathon ? ( apart from the usual unofficial ones you run at 3 am a couple of times per week !). If so, it's a great time, you will learn and improve a lot if you do a few more. Based on your split times you could probably knock 15 minutes off just with more sensible pacing. The there's a few more years training, nutrition etc...and I reckon sub 3 is the long term possibility.

Well.done.
Thanks mate, yes it was my first "real" marathon, totally different from any run Ive done before, soooo busy, your right more sensible pacing is the way forward, just have to learn from it

Based on what I've seen of your posts and times I think aiming for a 7.30 pace in the first half is a sensible plan.

Consciously try to slow it down early on. You might find that pace a bit slow and you will naturally go a bit quicker, but that's fine.

Ideally you will achieve 7.15 - 7.30 pace for each and every mile and that should give optimal performance. The race only starts at 20 miles. Good luck.

Ps if its your first marathon, don't get too hung up on the time. Err on the cautious side and learn what works for you. Then improve times on subsequent marathons.

Thanks for the post. I think I was a little bit optimistic on what to expect of myself and as you can see by my posts I’ve really struggled to work out what is a actually a realistic pace. As you say will aim to start slower so I hopefully have a little left for the latter stages.

Yes, it has been a real learning curve. I did make a conscious decision, months back, not to fully focus on the marathon as I much prefer getting out on the trails, and have had a great year of running as a consequence, but in hindsight I should have undertaken proper interval training to really push on time wise.

Still cannot wait for Sunday. Got a slight problem with my calf but nothing time and ibuprofen wont fix for sunday.

Interesting reading some of your marathon pace times. Most of you seem to be aiming between 3 Hours and 3 hours 30. That is well out of my reach if I'm honest. So well done
Its my first time this weekend and I'm s**ting myself. I've managed to get 18 and a 20 mile run in the last few weeks and just tapering down now. Just a couple of 3 miler's this week. If I get 4 hours 15 I'll be happy
I've had an up and down preparation. I've had a few injuries which seem to have subsided thank god.

A little concern of mine is when I completed the 20 mile last week. The last 4 miles was a struggle but still felt OK once finished but I deteriorated in the hours after and felt awful, I felt sick had shivers etc. I assume my body was in some kind of shock. I did have a few beers the night before. I also had a large porridge 2 hours before my run and had the SIS Gels throughout my run. Has anyone else experienced this? I assume I didn't have enough food in the system.

Interesting reading some of your marathon pace times. Most of you seem to be aiming between 3 Hours and 3 hours 30. That is well out of my reach if I'm honest. So well done
Its my first time this weekend and I'm s**ting myself. I've managed to get 18 and a 20 mile run in the last few weeks and just tapering down now. Just a couple of 3 miler's this week. If I get 4 hours 15 I'll be happy
I've had an up and down preparation. I've had a few injuries which seem to have subsided thank god.

A little concern of mine is when I completed the 20 mile last week. The last 4 miles was a struggle but still felt OK once finished but I deteriorated in the hours after and felt awful, I felt sick had shivers etc. I assume my body was in some kind of shock. I did have a few beers the night before. I also had a large porridge 2 hours before my run and had the SIS Gels throughout my run. Has anyone else experienced this? I assume I didn't have enough food in the system.
Well done on your preparation. It sounds as though you are well prepared for Sunday.

I'm in a similar situation. I've done my 20 and 18 mile runs, and have been tapering for the last three weeks. Sunday will be my first also.

I finished my 18 mile run at 9:30pm, and it had cooled a lot after a warm day. I walked the final 1.5km home and had the shivers when I got in. I felt bad too.

After my 20 mile run, it was 1pm, warm, and I felt great. So I reckon for me, the key was to keep moving at the end, and stay warm.

I ran a fast 3km today, and then had a dizzy spell when I stopped. A quick Google search told me this is down to lack of oxygen to my brain after above average exertion, coupled with a need for water. These are things I will guard against on Sunday.

Sunday will be hard, but I'm determined to enjoy the experience. I hope you do too. Good luck.

Well done on your preparation. It sounds as though you are well prepared for Sunday.

I'm in a similar situation. I've done my 20 and 18 mile runs, and have been tapering for the last three weeks. Sunday will be my first also.

I finished my 18 mile run at 9:30pm, and it had cooled a lot after a warm day. I walked the final 1.5km home and had the shivers when I got in. I felt bad too.

After my 20 mile run, it was 1pm, warm, and I felt great. So I reckon for me, the key was to keep moving at the end, and stay warm.

I ran a fast 3km today, and then had a dizzy spell when I stopped. A quick Google search told me this is down to lack of oxygen to my brain after above average exertion, coupled with a need for water. These are things I will guard against on Sunday.

Sunday will be hard, but I'm determined to enjoy the experience. I hope you do too. Good luck.
Cheers mate it’s good to know I’m not the only one in unknown territory. I did 18 miles with relative ease and had plenty in the tank whereas last week I was struggling around the 16 mile mark on my 20 mile run.

Even though I have a bit of apprehension I’m really looking forward to it . I feel better that they’re are 8 toilet stations throughout the course lol. My misses has booked a party for my Son at 15;00 thinking I’d be finished. She must think I’m Mo Farah. So no support now.

Cheers mate it’s good to know I’m not the only one in unknown territory. I did 18 miles with relative ease and had plenty in the tank whereas last week I was struggling around the 16 mile mark on my 20 mile run.

Even though I have a bit of apprehension I’m really looking forward to it . I feel better that they’re are 8 toilet stations throughout the course lol. My misses has booked a party for my Son at 15;00 thinking I’d be finished. She must think I’m Mo Farah. So no support now.
Haha. My start time is 11:50. My estimated end time is 17:20. The last shuttle back to Event City is 17:30, so I'll be sprinting to catch that as soon as I've finished!

Its my first marathon aswell, start time is 11.25, not really hoping for much of a time except maybe sub 5 hours but just hoping to finish, not really trained properly but I'm relatively fit enough so just seeing what happens.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.