Running thread

Saw your 16 mile run on Strava, that your longest to date? Time you aiming for on the day?

cheers bud, yes that was my longest since my last marathon 2 years ago! it was horrific weather but physically i felt ok - extra 10 miles feels like a impossible ask - but will try and get a 18-20 mile in before that.

as for the time, i'm not really thinking about it - just finishing will do me. would like to beat my last time - 4:50 (i was limping last 6 miles)

cheers bud, yes that was my longest since my last marathon 2 years ago! it was horrific weather but physically i felt ok - extra 10 miles feels like a impossible ask - but will try and get a 18-20 mile in before that.

as for the time, i'm not really thinking about it - just finishing will do me. would like to beat my last time - 4:50 (i was limping last 6 miles)

Well good luck with it mate, doing my second one in 4 weeks, felt fine on Sunday doing 23 miles in shocking weather, hope to be under 3:45, all depends on the day i suppose.

Didn't intend doing that far but had to keep going back for one of the lads who was struggling but wouldn't give up, he did 17 miles....

Anyway, warmer this weekend in Cyprus for the half marathon, few days on the beer after then sober until the full one.

Awesome.
That’s why running is the best.

Already getting jealous hearing of other people's runs. Pulled my calf on Friday after telling myself to take a day off. I'm stupid and now it kills and no idea how long it's going to take to heal.
Don't get too despondent about this. All injuries are different, and everyone has different recovery times.

I had been running every day until I tore my left calf on 14 January. A doctor friend told me to rest it for six weeks, so I stopped running and picked up with occasional cycling. After six weeks abstaining I started playing footy again and occasional short runs.

I was targeting the Arley 10k in April, so today, as a test run, I ran 10.2k (6.4 miles), with no stops, in just under an hour. No problems at all with my calf.

So my full recovery took eight weeks, and I'm aged 57.

Any body eat porridge for breakfast?

I have a shocking (but varied)diet and my meal time are very random. I really don't feel like breakfasts, so normally skip them.
I have tried all the recommended eating methods/times, but none seem to work for me or my stomach. If given a preference, eating one large meal a day seems to suit me.
This little and often method and three meals a day just resulted in acid reflux. Somehow, despite all the high fat meals, my cholesterol is low.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that my running times had gone backwards and i ended up at the doctors. My blood pressure was sky high and i was put on Ramipril to reduce it.
I still don't have a diagnosis what is the cause, as i have had normal blood pressure previously.
The good news is my times are falling and better still i feel so much better. In fact i think i'm nursing my self to avoid triggering anything blood pressure wise, so i think even better run times are coming.

Like most things, as some as people hear you have any health issues, the "advice" starts flowing. One thing that did stick in my head was my sister in law saying to get on the porridge. I used to eat it as a kid with my grandad, who went on to live to 94. So i thought i would give it a try. I mix it as 3/4 cup oats + one cup water + one cup milk + a swirl of golden syrup.

My god is this stuff a wonder food?
I'm not into food fads or wild claims, but this stuff has been amazing. I have one bowl in the morning, and then a normal tea in the evening. I'm even eating a bit of supper now.
My stomach is total reset. I haven't had any cravings for fatty food. My energy and hunger levels are so stable. I've binned the emergency chocky bars, as i just don't need the boost.
Although i'm eating two extra meals (breakfast and supper), my weight is actually dropping. No idea why this stuff is making such a difference.

Last edited:
Any body eat porridge for breakfast?

I have a shocking (but varied)diet and my meal time are very random. I really don't feel like breakfasts, so normally skip them.
I have tried all the recommended eating methods/times, but none seem to work for me or my stomach. If given a preference, eating one large meal a day seems to suit me.
This little and often method and three meals a day just resulted in acid reflux. Somehow, despite all the high fat meals, my cholesterol is low.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that my running times had gone backwards and i ended up at the doctors. My blood pressure was sky high and i was put on Ramipril to reduce it.
I still don't have a diagnosis what is the cause, as i have had normal blood pressure previously.
The good news is my times are falling and better still i feel so much better. In fact i think i'm nursing my self to avoid triggering anything blood pressure wise, so i think even better run times are coming.

Like most things, as some as people hear you have any health issues, the "advice" starts flowing. One thing that did stick in my head was my sister in law saying to get on the porridge. I used to eat it as a kid with my grandad, who went on to live to 94. So i thought i would give it a try. I mix it as 3/4 cup oats + one cup water + one cup milk + a swirl of golden syrup.

My god is this stuff a wonder food?
I'm not into food fads or wild claims, but this stuff has been amazing. I have one bowl in the morning, and then a normal tea in the evening. I'm even eating a bit of supper now.
My stomach is total reset. I haven't had any cravings for fatty food. My energy and hunger levels are so stable. I've binned the emergency chocky bars, as i just don't need the boost.
Although i'm eating two extra meals (breakfast and supper), my weight is actually dropping. No idea why this stuff is making such a difference.

I rarely eat before my morning run, stock up the day before, small coffee to wake me up then run.

This weekend i ran the Cyprus half.

Flew out from Liverpool so was up at 3am, picked up at half past, gone through security and was sat eating eggs benedict with a pint of Guinness at 5am, drinks on the plane, drinks at the hotel, went out for the evening for the match followed by, yes you guessed it, more Guinness. (needed them to calm my nerves watching City, back to the hotel, rags with us wanted to watch the match, so more beers.

Up next morning, rough as fuck, ate breakfast, had too much water and struggled like fuck hungover in the heat!!

Moral is, don't drink before a long run, it's not big and it's not clever.

Still did it in 1.53 though..........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.