Running thread

After a few health issues recently that have affected my running, it transpires I'm anaemic. I've no idea how this could have happened, but I'm on iron tablets to try and correct the imbalance. Hopefully these will help me to get back to my previous levels of fitness, and get more enjoyment from my running.

How are we all doing for fitness at the moment?

After being struck down with a series of illnesses (I swear I had about three different viruses all at once for about three weeks!), getting fat and working long hours at a new job, the most I can run seems to be about 4 miles at the moment! It's very frustrating but I'm taking a step back and just accepting that it will be a gradual process to get back to good fitness.

After being struck down with a series of illnesses (I swear I had about three different viruses all at once for about three weeks!), getting fat and working long hours at a new job, the most I can run seems to be about 4 miles at the moment! It's very frustrating but I'm taking a step back and just accepting that it will be a gradual process to get back to good fitness.
Having this anaemia, which is an iron deficiency, has explained a lot about my fitness levels over the year. I was definitely ok at the start of the year, and pretty ok when I did the BMVHM in February. It must have been early summer when I started to struggle with longer distances, but I persevered up to the marathon in October.

I think I will run 5ks until the end of the year, then when my iron deficiency is hopefully restored, I'll have higher energy levels in the new year to build back up again.

After a few health issues recently that have affected my running, it transpires I'm anaemic. I've no idea how this could have happened, but I'm on iron tablets to try and correct the imbalance. Hopefully these will help me to get back to my previous levels of fitness, and get more enjoyment from my running.
Been there mate, just felt sluggish all the time and couldn’t run 10k without walking. Tablets had me back to normal within 2 weeks.
Shitting wasn’t great mind!!!

I’m hardly out since running the marathon for one reason or another… just the odd 5k. Start again after Xmas I think. Nothing planned just get out for the fun of it.

Been there mate, just felt sluggish all the time and couldn’t run 10k without walking. Tablets had me back to normal within 2 weeks.
Shitting wasn’t great mind!!!
That's good to hear (apart from the last bit). It's been puzzling me why I felt I needed to switch to a walk during normal 5km runs, and my legs have felt very heavy sand tired.

I'm looking forward to the new year, when my blood should be back to normal, and I'll be able to increase my running again.

Same as ever. I've been running and cycling for about 25 years and been fortunate with injuries and illness such that most years I hardly miss more than a couple of weeks training. Probably missed about six weeks at most after a bad fall off the bike years ago.

The speed and weekly mileage has declined over the years so typically on 4 runs a week and a total of about 15 miles these days. Hope to just keep plodding on for health and enjoyment. There could be the odd race and associated training plan once a year.

As you say it's a gradual process to return fitness but you know how to train up as much as anyone. Stick at it and it will get easier with the routine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.