Running thread

Did my first marathon last month (M’cr one). I’ve done hardly any running since but due to do the Heaton Park half marathon on Sunday - it’s a bit challenging as quite hilly. Bit nervous as feel underprepared. Hopefully the experience of running the marathon should mean I’ll be ok but not convinced!
In the past, I've surprised myself by getting half marathon PBs in these circumstances (i.e. a few weeks after a marathon when I was still recovering). You will definitely be fit enough to at least cover the distance anyway.

In the past, I've surprised myself by getting half marathon PBs in these circumstances (i.e. a few weeks after a marathon when I was still recovering). You will definitely be fit enough to at least cover the distance anyway.

Thanks mate. That’s exactly what I was hoping someone would say :)

Only this!! I've done both 10k and 5k pbs since Manchester(in different places) stu knows his onions

Yes make sure you post it. We all look like middle of the road plodders on here compared to Gaz
This morning I did my first real race since the 2014 London Marathon. I ran a 10k in a chip time of 47:21 for 138th overall out of 838 and 12th vet 50. I am delighted with the result.

I was surprised at how inaccurate my strava result was. It showed a much slower time of 50:xx and a distance < 10k. But my mates strava was much more accurate.

Think I will bin off the strava and go back to my old fashioned stopwatch and pen and paper methods which served me well down the years !!. Or even ditch them too and just run free for the hell of it!

Last edited:
This morning I did my first real race since the 2014 London Marathon. I ran a 10k in a chip time of 47:21 for 138th overall and 12 vet 50. I am delighted with the result.

I was surprised at how inaccurate my strava result was. It showed a much slower time of 50:xx and a distance < 10k. But my mates strava was much more accurate.

Think I will bin off the strava and go back to my old fashioned stopwatch and pen and paper methods which served me well down the years !!. Or even ditch them too and just run free for the hell of it!
Great stuff TCP, that's a cracking time, enjoy the after race buzz.
As for the strava time, how did you use strava? ie your watch?phone?laptop?? Strava can vary on how accurate your device is, and they also then differ from your device time a little as well, fucked if I know why but strava is always different to garmin even though I use my garmin to use strava.....think your probably right with the sundial and a pencil approach tbh!!
Congrats on the race bud, genuinely made up for you.

Reactions: ob
Great stuff TCP, that's a cracking time, enjoy the after race buzz.
As for the strava time, how did you use strava? ie your watch?phone?laptop?? Strava can vary on how accurate your device is, and they also then differ from your device time a little as well, fucked if I know why but strava is always different to garmin even though I use my garmin to use strava.....think your probably right with the sundial and a pencil approach tbh!!
Congrats on the race bud, genuinely made up for you.
Cheers. I use strava on the phone. My pal used garmin watch which I heard is more accurate. It's all just a bit of fun really so not bothered about the accuracy.

It was good to do a race, see a few old pals and enjoy the buzz. More relaxed for this afternoons game now as the last few days watching the footy have been a bit tense !

Cheers. I use strava on the phone. My pal used garmin watch which I heard is more accurate. It's all just a bit of fun really so not bothered about the accuracy.

It was good to do a race, see a few old pals and enjoy the buzz. More relaxed for this afternoons game now as the last few days watching the footy have been a bit tense !
Yeah, phones aren't really designed for GPS tracking at that level of accuracy. A watch such as a Garmin is the way to go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.