Running thread

Mate I'm 61 and a newbie my fastest is 28 min. To up miles I did a 10k training plan then progressed to a HM and completed 1 with another planned for next year. I average about 30 mins for 5k and not all flying machines on here lol.

5k in 30 mins is a fantastic time. Keep up the good work.

Thanks ob. I guess slow and steady is the way to go. I'll scour the internet for a suitable 10k training plan and try to reduce the pace at which I run. I'm sure the speed will come naturally as I increase the mileage and feel more comfortable with it.
One thing I realised after a while is every run can't be your fastest or longest but took me a while to work that out. I was setting out every 5k to try to beat previous time

Well done with the weight loss. I've been stuck in a weight loss plateau for several months now. Went down from 18.5 stone at the start of 2020 to 15 stone now. I have a decent diet, run twice a week, swim twice a week, and walk & use public transport everywhere as I don't own a car. I only drink once a week these days too.
Been stuck in these weight loss plateaus temporarily in the past, and I know it's just your body readjusting to your new weight, but it's a bit frustrating putting in loads of effort and not seeing any reward!
I seem to be stuck at 14, I can exercise and eat well and put 2lb on haha, I'm sure it will come though, well done on losing all that weight, really does come down to self control and monitoring

Advice urgently required.
I'm relatively new to running having started in earnest around seven weeks ago as an FOC whose only exercise previously involved the odd long walk. My PB (some four weeks ago) for 5k is 26:14 which is, admittedly, not that impressive when compared to the exploits of some on this thread. Regardless, I was delighted at the time. My challenge now is to move beyond the 5k distance which has become my default option. Ideally, my goal is to run 10k without it feeling like an ascent of Everest! I'd be grateful for any tips or advice from the more experienced posters.
That's impressive! Well done.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic (I'm genuinely not being sarcastic haha), but if you want to move beyond 5k, just start running further than 5k...

You can slow down your pace to a comfortable speed and add an extra KM or two. Don't target time if the distance is your goal. Find a good podcast (my favourite is 'How I Built This' with Guy Raz) and go for a relaxing run/head clearer.

Once you get more comfortable with the distances, the times will improve.

Advice urgently required.
I'm relatively new to running having started in earnest around seven weeks ago as an FOC whose only exercise previously involved the odd long walk. My PB (some four weeks ago) for 5k is 26:14 which is, admittedly, not that impressive when compared to the exploits of some on this thread. Regardless, I was delighted at the time. My challenge now is to move beyond the 5k distance which has become my default option. Ideally, my goal is to run 10k without it feeling like an ascent of Everest! I'd be grateful for any tips or advice from the more experienced posters.

26min 5k is very good!

Simply to do double distance, slow your pace 1-2 miles and you’ll get your breathing. Sometimes a 10k is easier than a 5k.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic (I'm genuinely not being sarcastic haha), but if you want to move beyond 5k, just start running further than 5k...

You can slow down your pace to a comfortable speed and add an extra KM or two. Don't target time if the distance is your goal. Find a good podcast (my favourite is 'How I Built This' with Guy Raz) and go for a relaxing run/head clearer.

No, not sarcastic at all. I think I already knew the answer. Weirdly, I find it difficult to run slower. I just need to forget about times completely and relax into it. Great advice.

Ironman being held in Nice this weekend. Been watching few of the guys running in the heat. On beach today and few in swimming. Absolute amazing efforts

I was in Chamonix last weekend watching the UTMB trail series final. First time an American (Jim Walmsley) has won the 173km race in its 20 year history. Seeing the winners come, in 20 - 26 hours is incredible but watching those finishing in 40 hours plus, just your average joes with a life's dream, is pretty humbling and emotional. Truly incredible event.

I bumped into a mate of mine this morning who's far further on in his running journey as it were. He told me "If you can't run slow, you can't run fast". Would've sounded contradictory to me a month ago but makes perfect sense now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.