Running thread

I bumped into a mate of mine this morning who's far further on in his running journey as it were. He told me "If you can't run slow, you can't run fast". Would've sounded contradictory to me a month ago but makes perfect sense now.

Its totally true. There is not a running plan out there that does not have recovery runs and slow long runs at the core of its training schedule.

Trying to run fast continuously or continually beating your times will only get you injured, unless your name is Zapotek.

I would add the beauty of progression as a runner is those ‘slow runs’ become faster than your ‘fast runs’ when you first started out.

i was doing really well for 7 weeks,was running at a 40min 5k pace, just getting to 5k was my goal, i hadnt run or done any form of exercise for years if ever, had a knee problem and had to back off,started up again after a 6 week lay off,i decided to up my pace to a 30min 5k , so that's my goal, get to that then i will look to up it again, im in no rush,just want to get to my 5k then take things from there( beat @Leeky in the park run) haha

from what ive learnt about myself from starting to run is i need the motivation , set a goal and work towards that, i cant aimlessly run for running sake,i need that finishing line, so 5k is my first goal,5k in 30 mins my next , then beat your time,im not letting no FOC beat me :), oh and lose weight, when i started i was 15 stone 8lb, my goal was to get to 13st 7lb , i've lost 1st 8lb , not bad for a foc myself :)

right off to the physio haha, my knee feels 100% better, but work have paid for it and they have free coffee and a wonderful collection of free biscuits :)
chip off the old block, I struggle to run for no end goal, but I do enjoy the Bramhall Park Runs, same course every week and if you register, your goal is to beat your last time, it’s not easy, reminds me of cross country running at school around Bruntwood park, which I use to hate. But with over 300 people running of all abilities gives you an incentive and challenge every week. I’m that determined I’ve give up booze on a Friday and do the same course midweek to beat my pb, which stands at 25.20. I say give up booze, Thursdays are now my Fridays, but God loves a trier.

chip off the old block, I struggle to run for no end goal, but I do enjoy the Bramhall Park Runs, same course every week and if you register, your goal is to beat your last time, it’s not easy, reminds me of cross country running at school around Bruntwood park, which I use to hate. But with over 300 people running of all abilities gives you an incentive and challenge every week. I’m that determined I’ve give up booze on a Friday and do the same course midweek to beat my pb, which stands at 25.20. I say give up booze, Thursdays are now my Fridays, but God loves a trier.
And you're very trying bruv xx
The physio has given me more exercises, I've had to buy one of those thick elastic bands :( ,my stretching and strengthing exercises last twice as long as I can run :)

And you're very trying bruv xx
The physio has given me more exercises, I've had to buy one of those thick elastic bands :( ,my stretching and strengthing exercises last twice as long as I can run :)
At your age your going to get aches and pains, just need to run through the pain barrier, Physiotherapist will prolong your treatment for extra dollars

Interesting

The figures below are based on 35 million results, collected by the website RunRepeat, in the last 20 years from more than 28,000 races.

The RunRepeat data shows that if you want to be an above-average 5K runner, you should aim to have a finish time faster than 35 minutes. Running a sub-30 minute 5K could be another goal as only 30% of the participants in running races are faster than that.

Ha, I recognise that Friday before Parkrun dilemma only too well! Coincidentally, I'm out with friends tonight. I already know that the likelihood of me being up bright and early for a 5k tomorrow morning is next to non-existent. Unless unavoidable though, I also try to ease back on the booze the night before. It's telling that we're at a point where the thought of foregoing alcohol to put ourselves through gruelling physical exercise is actually quite appealing!
Incidentally, that's an excellent PB.

Last edited:
Friday early morning interval club... you're all invited to join, lol.

I do roughly 3k warm-up. followed by 400m on/400m off. Then, a cool down. I think these contribute to my improved times in my regular runs.

For context, here are some of my previous interval runs:

18/08 - 9km - 5:41 pace
25/08 - 10.3km - 5:36 pace
01/09 - 9.7km - 5:18 pace
08/09 - 11km - 5:07 pace

In today's run, I did a 10k in 50:24, including tons of 'recovery' running and part of my cool down. A few weeks ago, a 50-minute 10k was miles away. I couldn't string together 2 sub 5 min km! My base level has risen significantly.

So, if you aren't already doing it. Feel free to become part of the early morning interval club! You won't regret it!

Friday early morning interval club... you're all invited to join, lol.

I do roughly 3k warm-up. followed by 400m on/400m off. Then, a cool down. I think these contribute to my improved times in my regular runs.

For context, here are some of my previous interval runs:

18/08 - 9km - 5:41 pace
25/08 - 10.3km - 5:36 pace
01/09 - 9.7km - 5:18 pace
08/09 - 11km - 5:07 pace

In today's run, I did a 10k in 50:24, including tons of 'recovery' running and part of my cool down. A few weeks ago, a 50-minute 10k was miles away. I couldn't string together 2 sub 5 min km! My base level has risen significantly.

So, if you aren't already doing it. Feel free to become part of the early morning interval club! You won't regret it!
One set of 400m on 400m off ?
How fast do you run on the on lap compared to the off lap.

I tried to do something similar swimming today 25m flat out 25m steady, not sure if that would improve my stamina, but I'm a tryer :)

One set of 400m on 400m off ?
How fast do you run on the on lap compared to the off lap.

I tried to do something similar swimming today 25m flat out 25m steady, not sure if that would improve my stamina, but I'm a tryer :)
Yep so I run 400m at probably 80% effort (100% being an all-out sprint). It usually tails off towards the last few hundred metres, but it's purposefully high effort, and I'd imagine it's below 4:00km pace. Then I do another lap (400m) at a recovery pace - it could be as slow as walking if needs be, but I tend to recover at around 5:45km pace now.

Then, repeat that process (I did eight of them this morning).

Definitely helps and I'm sure your swimming intervals will benefit you too!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.