Running thread

Any tips for a non-runner? The only running i've ever done is a few mins on the treadmill (and hate every time i do it) but my mate swears by it and i'm willing to give anything a go. Do you ease yourself into it or just get your trainers on and fuckin' peg it? How do you stop your legs from aching (mine have always ached since i did a charity run as a high schooler) and do you just fight through a stitch or stop running? Sorry for the noob questions, if the best tip is to just not do it then i'm good with that too :D

Just start with short distances and remember the most important thing about running: you get the best results by running SLOWLY. I would go out a few times a week for just a few minutes at a very easy pace (not much faster than walking). Only build up the distance very gradually. Give yourself recovery days to start with.

I don't agree with the poster about 'always' stretching; there's no decent evidence to support that when you're doing easy/gentle runs. Certainly don't do static stretches; they have been found to do more harm than good. If and when you get into harder runs, you then might want to think about warming up gently for a mile or two and doing a few dynamic stretches. That would also be the time to get your gait analysed (decent, independent sports shops often offer this service) and invest in some good running shoes.

I do agree about getting off the treadmill - get yourself outside.

I'm in Manchester for a few days so doing a bit of running around here. Did a few miles around Ladybarn Park and Fog Lane Park this morning. Would be interested in any recommendations for other routes in that area.

Hi I’d get some decent trainers ASICS are pretty good. Start with small runs. 1,2 ,3 miles and build up. Always stretch and warm up. Make sure you stretch and gently jog afterwards to warm down and get rid of the lactic. Find someone to run with as it keeps you motivated. Running outside beats a treadmill every time for me.
I have loads of good trainers for running as i do go to the gym quite a bit, but just never been into running. Think i must live in some sort of running hotspot in the Heaton's as there's runners going past my house all throughout the day.

Just start with short distances and remember the most important thing about running: you get the best results by running SLOWLY. I would go out a few times a week for just a few minutes at a very easy pace (not much faster than walking). Only build up the distance very gradually. Give yourself recovery days to start with.

I don't agree with the poster about 'always' stretching; there's no decent evidence to support that when you're doing easy/gentle runs. Certainly don't do static stretches; they have been found to do more harm than good. If and when you get into harder runs, you then might want to think about warming up gently for a mile or two and doing a few dynamic stretches. That would also be the time to get your gait analysed (decent, independent sports shops often offer this service) and invest in some good running shoes.

I do agree about getting off the treadmill - get yourself outside.
Cheers Stu, i live on the otherside of a golf course and there seems to be runners going through that all the time. Don't see the fun in worrying about being smashed by a golf ball myself tbh, so will probably just run around that!

Any tips for a non-runner? The only running i've ever done is a few mins on the treadmill (and hate every time i do it) but my mate swears by it and i'm willing to give anything a go. Do you ease yourself into it or just get your trainers on and fuckin' peg it? How do you stop your legs from aching (mine have always ached since i did a charity run as a high schooler) and do you just fight through a stitch or stop running? Sorry for the noob questions, if the best tip is to just not do it then i'm good with that too :D

I started from nothing too. I'm 37. I got myself a pair of trainers via my health insurance scheme, installed Strava, and I've done 8 runs that went like this;

Run 1: Planned a 2 mile route with google maps. Set off too fast (6 minute mile) and at the 1 mile mark I was suffering and ground to a sudden halt. Breathing wasn't right and legs felt knackered. Kept trying to run the rest of the route, but stopped every minute of so. Mile 2 was then twice as long and made up of walking/running. It was a little demoralising but try you best.
Run 2: 3 days later. Planned just 1 mile, concentrated on breathing and running style. Did this at 10.30/mi pace.
Run 3: 5 days after run 2, ran 1.4 miles. at a good 9.36/mi pace for the first mile.
Run 4: 6 days after run 3, I felt my pace was slow in general. Read about running faster over short distances, so ran 1 mile. Pace was 8.29/mi - felt good.
Run 5: 3 days after, I planned an ambitious 2 mile run. I was going into hospital and wouldn't run for at least a month. Deliberately slowed my pace and ran it in 11.48/mi pace. What felt good was seeing that I'd run for 24 mins straight.
Run 6. 6 weeks later, I'd healed up from my op. Went and did just 1 mile to test the waters. Did it in 10 mins dead on.
Run 7. 9 days later decided to jump straight up to 2 miles but on grass. Ended up completing 2.2 miles at 11.10/mi pace.
Run 8. Today (4 days after last run). Switched to pavement running again doing a 2.1 mile run. Pace was 10.30/mi pace.

So there you go. 8 runs between 1 and 2 miles.

The 1 mile run times went like this:
6min
10.30min
9.36min
8.29min
10.min

My 2 mile run times are:
11.48/mi pace
11.10/mi pace (on grass)
10.30/mi pace

So my plan now is 2-3 runs per week. Ideally running a 3, a 2, and a 1 mile. The 1 mile will be used to perform a run as fast as I can. The 3/2 mile to build my endurance and lose weight.

I started from nothing too. I'm 37. I got myself a pair of trainers via my health insurance scheme, installed Strava, and I've done 8 runs that went like this;

Run 1: Planned a 2 mile route with google maps. Set off too fast (6 minute mile) and at the 1 mile mark I was suffering and ground to a sudden halt. Breathing wasn't right and legs felt knackered. Kept trying to run the rest of the route, but stopped every minute of so. Mile 2 was then twice as long and made up of walking/running. It was a little demoralising but try you best.
Run 2: 3 days later. Planned just 1 mile, concentrated on breathing and running style. Did this at 10.30/mi pace.
Run 3: 5 days after run 2, ran 1.4 miles. at a good 9.36/mi pace for the first mile.
Run 4: 6 days after run 3, I felt my pace was slow in general. Read about running faster over short distances, so ran 1 mile. Pace was 8.29/mi - felt good.
Run 5: 3 days after, I planned an ambitious 2 mile run. I was going into hospital and wouldn't run for at least a month. Deliberately slowed my pace and ran it in 11.48/mi pace. What felt good was seeing that I'd run for 24 mins straight.
Run 6. 6 weeks later, I'd healed up from my op. Went and did just 1 mile to test the waters. Did it in 10 mins dead on.
Run 7. 9 days later decided to jump straight up to 2 miles but on grass. Ended up completing 2.2 miles at 11.10/mi pace.
Run 8. Today (4 days after last run). Switched to pavement running again doing a 2.1 mile run. Pace was 10.30/mi pace.

So there you go. 8 runs between 1 and 2 miles.

The 1 mile run times went like this:
6min
10.30min
9.36min
8.29min
10.min

My 2 mile run times are:
11.48/mi pace
11.10/mi pace (on grass)
10.30/mi pace

So my plan now is 2-3 runs per week. Ideally running a 3, a 2, and a 1 mile. The 1 mile will be used to perform a run as fast as I can. The 3/2 mile to build my endurance and lose weight.
Have you done any fartlekking? I’m going to do a bit of that to get quicker.

Have you done any fartlekking? I’m going to do a bit of that to get quicker.

I’d recommend it; fast between 2 lampposts, then slow/recover between next 3 - do this during the second half of your run - for first half, just run as per normal. It deffo pays dividends

I’d recommend it; fast between 2 lampposts, then slow/recover between next 3 - do this during the second half of your run - for first half, just run as per normal. It deffo pays dividends
Sounds good. Normally do 5-6k so maybe do a shorter run! How long until
you reaped the benefits?

24.53 so 4 seconds better than last week. Not a stellar effort but at least better.

Is that for ParkRun? I used to do half marathons but nowadays just do ParkRuns plus some cycling, and the difference is massive. Previously do 3 runs a week: 10 mile, 6 mile and 3 miles, and the weight fell off. Now, only doing parkrun distance 2x week and a bike ride, none of that happens any more! I deffo need to get back to doing a 90 min run at least once a week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.