Running thread

I finished in just over an hour. Woke up with terrible knee pain. Downed a load of painkillers. Fell over and cut painful knee after 3km. Wiped blood off and carried on to finish.

When I fell only one person asked if I was ok. A few ran past, a couple hurdled over me
Well done for getting it done with all that going on mate, what time was you hoping for?
I know a few others that did it today and the course looked quite tricky

I've never done a 10k before so I genuinely didn't have a time in mind. I wanted to complete it and enjoy it. Which I did. The amount of people lining the streets encouraging us was unreal.

A few years ago I ran with a running club in another part of Oldham. Monday's after a weekend where people had run 10k, half marathon, marathon races at the weekend were awful. People distraught because they ran a 10k but didn't do it under a certain time. Someone else crying because they'd ran a marathon but didn't get under 4 hours .

I remember commenting in this thread that someone ran a marathon but didn't do it in a certain time, felt the whole race and the 6 months training was an entire waste of time. They didn't see running a marathon as an accomplishment. All because they had attached an arbitrary number which defined whether the run was successful or not.

One of my mates used to be an ultra runner. He had two hip replacements last Christmas and thought he'd rarely run again. He completed the Mossley 10k today and was happy as a pig in shit. Wasn't bothered about the time. Completing it was the achievement.

Sorry for the long winded answer but my perspective is that this obsession with getting faster all the time detracts from the enjoyment of running. Remember when you were kids and just ran everywhere. That was fun and it wasn't being timed on a smartwatch

I've never done a 10k before so I genuinely didn't have a time in mind. I wanted to complete it and enjoy it. Which I did. The amount of people lining the streets encouraging us was unreal.

A few years ago I ran with a running club in another part of Oldham. Monday's after a weekend where people had run 10k, half marathon, marathon races at the weekend were awful. People distraught because they ran a 10k but didn't do it under a certain time. Someone else crying because they'd ran a marathon but didn't get under 4 hours .

I remember commenting in this thread that someone ran a marathon but didn't do it in a certain time, felt the whole race and the 6 months training was an entire waste of time. They didn't see running a marathon as an accomplishment. All because they had attached an arbitrary number which defined whether the run was successful or not.

One of my mates used to be an ultra runner. He had two hip replacements last Christmas and thought he'd rarely run again. He completed the Mossley 10k today and was happy as a pig in shit. Wasn't bothered about the time. Completing it was the achievement.

Sorry for the long winded answer but my perspective is that this obsession with getting faster all the time detracts from the enjoyment of running. Remember when you were kids and just ran everywhere. That was fun and it wasn't being timed on a smartwatch
1000000868.gif

That's very generalizing imo.
I'm part of a run club, i sign up to 10k's/halfs/marathons every year with mates, we all track are runs and hope to beat our target times - sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't as long as there's a beer waiting at the end we're all happy.
but during the 'race' we try and push ourselves for the time we want majority of time.

if i'm hanging, or unfit then i'll run for fitness and take enjoyment out of that aswell. Either way i track all my runs on Strava and like seeing the results of my run. it's been a huge motivator.

Totally agree I run because I love it and the feeling it gives me. Had major injuries over the last 4 years so managing to run 9.25 miles this Sunday made me really really happy. Nowhere near my previous pace but who cares? I did it and it felt good. I want to be able to run a half again, but the time is not the target its the accomplishment. I had wanted to run an ultra before I am 50 but these injuries mean it won't be this year but again I am not beating myself up. Enjoy the run, enjoy the feeling you get when you hit the plateau where your breathing is steady, your pace is constant and you feel like you can run all day (does not last that long but what a feeling!)

Totally agree I run because I love it and the feeling it gives me. Had major injuries over the last 4 years so managing to run 9.25 miles this Sunday made me really really happy. Nowhere near my previous pace but who cares? I did it and it felt good. I want to be able to run a half again, but the time is not the target its the accomplishment. I had wanted to run an ultra before I am 50 but these injuries mean it won't be this year but again I am not beating myself up. Enjoy the run, enjoy the feeling you get when you hit the plateau where your breathing is steady, your pace is constant and you feel like you can run all day (does not last that long but what a feeling!)
I think it's an age thing. As you get older, running becomes much more for fitness and enjoyment, and less competitive. After recent injuries (notably an ongoing hip problem) I'm just happy to be out there, enjoying the beautiful scenery, getting very tired legs, and aching for the rest of the day.

12km starting at 7am today, from Keswick to Threlkeld, then back via Castlerigg Stone Circle. 5km of it was beside the fast flowing River Greta. On return, there were views of Catbells and other distant fells. An absolutely stunning run, and the slow pace allowed me to enjoy the scenery for much longer.

I think it's an age thing. As you get older, running becomes much more for fitness and enjoyment, and less competitive. After recent injuries (notably an ongoing hip problem) I'm just happy to be out there, enjoying the beautiful scenery, getting very tired legs, and aching for the rest of the day.

12km starting at 7am today, from Keswick to Threlkeld, then back via Castlerigg Stone Circle. 5km of it was beside the fast flowing River Greta. On return, there were views of Catbells and other distant fells. An absolutely stunning run, and the slow pace allowed me to enjoy the scenery for much longer.
Catbells is one of my favourite fells

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.