Running thread

I've just come home from a gentle 1/3 of a marathon. I've plenty left in the tank, but the thought of doing the same lap two more times is a bit daunting at the moment.

Roll on 10 October. I'll try and do the whole run without stopping, but if I can't manage that, I'll aim for at least 30k before my first stop. If I can maintain today's time for the whole Manchester Marathon, I'll be looking at finishing in 5 hours 15 minutes. I very much doubt it I'll do a second one.

I've just come home from a gentle 1/3 of a marathon. I've plenty left in the tank, but the thought of doing the same lap two more times is a bit daunting at the moment.

Roll on 10 October. I'll try and do the whole run without stopping, but if I can't manage that, I'll aim for at least 30k before my first stop. If I can maintain today's time for the whole Manchester Marathon, I'll be looking at finishing in 5 hours 15 minutes. I very much doubt it I'll do a second one.
Are you going to run or walk through the drinks stations? A good strategy, which I used even on quicker marathons, was to walk through every station, typically every 5 or 6 miles. It gives you a break, is easier to get the water or gel down, and does not lose much time.

Have a think, and practice, drinking and eating on the run in training.

Are you going to run or walk through the drinks stations? A good strategy, which I used even on quicker marathons, was to walk through every station, typically every 5 or 6 miles. It gives you a break, is easier to get the water or gel down, and does not lose much time.

Have a think, and practice, drinking and eating on the run in training.
Thanks for the tip. I was going to ask for strategy advice and for practical information nearer the time. I usually take a couple of SIS gels as I run, one after each 6km or thereabouts. I take them very slowly whilst I'm running.

Walking through the drinks stations sounds like a good idea. I wondered if it would be hard to start off running again after the walks though, especially the later ones.

In past I'd have been heading home at half 7 in morning to sleep off a weekend on the lash. This morning, my longest run ever of 8 miles, I won't be winning any races but that's not why I do it. So pleased to be able to do that, thanks for all the inspiration guys

Last edited:
Been a bit lazy on the running front recently and not really started any type of planned training for the Manchester marathon, which I intend to start properly next week.

Only runs of note in the last 10 days, 2 x 12ks while in the Lake District, an 8K through Marple on saturday prior to the Everton game and a 10k split into a 5k, 3k, 2k along the beachfront.

Managed 4:20 pace for the 5k, 4:07 pace for the 3k, and 3:59 pace for the 2k. Been a while since I pushed it and felt pretty drained afterwards.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.