Russian Fans

SWP's back said:
cleavers said:
So back to the russians.....

Maybe I'm missing something but what was wrong with the russian banner ?
It looks a little "war-ie"

MSP said:
The guy on the banner is some historical Russian who liberated Moscow from Polish occupation.

Thanks, I thought it looked great, yes a bit gladiatorial, but it added to the atmosphere and images of the game and tournament for me. I can't remember seeing a banner that big before, certainly not at an international tournament, I assume they were allowed to take it in and show it.

cleavers said:
SWP's back said:
cleavers said:
So back to the russians.....

Maybe I'm missing something but what was wrong with the russian banner ?

MSP said:
The guy on the banner is some historical Russian who liberated Moscow from Polish occupation.

Thanks, I thought it looked great, yes a bit gladiatorial, but it added to the atmosphere and images of the game and tournament for me. I can't remember seeing a banner that big before, certainly not at an international tournament, I assume they were allowed to take it in and show it.
I'm not sure who's on that flag, but the text is the most insulting part IMO. D you realize that Poland only broke away for the Soviet Union within the last 30 years? That Poland was occupied by the Soviets for decades!?

For Russians to come to Poland with a flag that reads, THIS IS RUSSIA, is simply one enormously disrectful WUM.

prairiemoon said:
cleavers said:
SWP's back said:

MSP said:

I'm not sure who's on that flag, but the text is the most insulting part IMO. D you realize that Poland only broke away for the Soviet Union within the last 30 years? That Poland was occupied by the Soviets for decades!?

For Russians to come to Poland with a flag that reads, THIS IS RUSSIA, is simply one enormously disrectful WUM.
Yeah I;m torn. Big colourful flag = good

The words and picture = just too provacative given their history.

prairiemoon said:

Its so easy to be offended these days. For me the words "THIS IS RUSSIA" just pointed out that it was the Russian fans. I wonder if anyone noticed that (unlike England fans against France, which thankfully didn't last long) there was no booing of the russian national anthem by the poles ? The march shouldn't have been allowed and was a massive WUM, but a banner in a stadium ? Not for me.

cleavers said:
prairiemoon said:

Its so easy to be offended these days. For me the words "THIS IS RUSSIA" just pointed out that it was the Russian fans. I wonder if anyone noticed that (unlike England fans against France, which thankfully didn't last long) there was no booing of the russian national anthem by the poles ? The march shouldn't have been allowed and was a massive WUM, but a banner in a stadium ? Not for me.

but you are not a Pole that remembers what it was like under Soviet occupation or has family that remembers and constantly tells the story of what it was like. Looking in from the outside is totally different than being on the inside and looking around

cleavers said:

This^^^

Agreed the march was a massive WUM considering it coincided with Russia Day though the banner being permitted was solely a decision for the Polish authoritah and they permitted said banner.

Seems the Polish authorities had more issue with permitting the Great Escape to be played by the England band than this...what a funny old world we live in.

TommoCTID said:
cleavers said:

This^^^

Agreed the march was a massive WUM considering it coincided with Russia Day though the banner being permitted was solely a decision for the Polish authoritah and they permitted said banner.

Seems the Polish authorities had more issue with permitting the Great Escape to be played by the England band than this...what a funny old world we live in.
I don't know, it would be akin to the English marching through Belfast and then unveiling a huge flag saying "This is England" or possibly worse in Dublin.

cleavers said:
prairiemoon said:

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.