Russian invasion of Ukraine

Question to all the financial bods out there; with the Russian Stock Market closed, how long can the country effectively run before they face financial collapse if they're not trading?

Is this going to come down to a waiting game?

Question to all the financial bods out there; with the Russian Stock Market closed, how long can the country effectively run before they face financial collapse if they're not trading?

Is this going to come down to a waiting game?

This this was/is always going to be the case.

No, we get a confused, patchy sense of what is happening on the ground. I may be cautiously optimistic, but this conflict is by no means over, hence the caution.

But you cannot take a country the size of Ukraine, with a population of 45 million with 200k troops. Especially as they are facing a well equipped modern force of comparable size in the conflict area. The Russians can capture a city here and there, but is that city under their control and subdued? How many troops do they need to station per city? What is the overall strategic plan here? Is eventually levelling every city one by one going to secure any thing other than eternal enmity? Can Russia sustain the current level of losses even accounting for Ukraine over estimating them?

And that’s not even taking into account sanctions starting to bite.

US General Petraeus said the same about holding Ukraine last week - not enough troops, very little local sympathy. Complete nightmare.

I honestly don’t believe that ‘the people’ will rise up - if there is a leadership change, it will come from within the inner circle. Hopefully that happens.
It won’t. The people are broadly in favour apparently and his inner circle look shit scared of him. This will only end when Putin wants it to end. How and when that will be, who knows.

Russia has more boots on the ground

I would have expected someone who lives in Ukraine to know that Russia's invasion force of 180-200,000 is significantly less than Ukraine's 215,000 active army + 200,000 called up trained reserves. We won't mention the 60,000 new territorial guards as they're not much more than a last resort although they are freeing up trained soldiers to go elsewhere.

I would have expected someone who lives in Ukraine to know that Russia's invasion force of 180-200,000 is significantly less than Ukraine's 215,000 active army + 200,000 called up trained reserves. We won't mention the 60,000 new territorial guards as they're not much more than a last resort although they are freeing up trained soldiers to go elsewhere.

I believe Russia has 900k active military personnel.

Was answering what a British soldier would do. Iirc despite Smith's acquital the principle concerning standing orders was established. Still the law here.
It didn't stop Bloody Sunday. Let's not get too righteous over this. I don't even know if Russian soldiers have a legal defence (in Russian law) against disobeying an unlawful order (in an army where the "commander in chief" poisons people).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.