Russian invasion of Ukraine

Then you miss the posts that you want to read, I thought you tried to you kept people on topic Ric.
If everyone practiced what they preached it’d certainly make things easier.

Did Russian money only start coming into London after 2010? I think Blair and Brown's governments were just as complicit in welcoming dirty Russian Oligarchs.

Macron true to form for the French rolling over in the face of tyranny.

Yes their involvement has been purely self serving and unhelpful. It doesn’t mean they aren’t potentially a key player. They are deliberately choosing not to exercise their influence and that’s shameful.

China have blocked the premier league being broadcast because of teams showing support for Ukraine. It’s clear China are on Russia’s side and probably have secret economic/trade agreements in place with them.

Totally agree but I’m of the opinion we have a myriad of threads in which to discuss them rather than this one.

Brexit, party donations, political influence are worthy topics in the political forum but this thread should be free of the usual circular arguments.
If it's the same old rhetoric, sure.

But there's a point to be made that UK/central European politics, all sides of the board, have been influenced by Russian money/propaganda, which gave Putin the confidence/arrogance to do this. There's definitely certain parts of that that belong in here, because influence is relative to response, sanctions, therefore what people believe may happen within this conflict.

However I do agree, there's posts again on all sides, that simply use this situation to push a very specific agenda, which is wrong.

If it's the same old rhetoric, sure.

But there's a point to be made that UK/central European politics, all sides of the board, have been influenced by Russian money/propaganda, which gave Putin the confidence/arrogance to do this. There's definitely certain parts of that that belong in here, because influence is relative to response, sanctions, therefore what people believe may happen within this conflict.

However I do agree, there's posts again on all sides, that simply use this situation to push a very specific agenda, which is wrong.

Even if we charge someone with investigating corruption and eventually prosecuting those involved in bribery and corruption it would just mean meetings and hearings and pontification, Russian money, Chinese money and even American money from the thieves in the big house.

At least we could wait to get rid of Putin before we start pointing fingers and washing our dirty laundry in public which is what Putin wants.

Even if we charge someone with investigating corruption and eventually prosecuting those involved in bribery and corruption it would just mean meetings and hearings and pontification, Russian money, Chinese money and even American money from the thieves in the big house.

At least we could wait to get rid of Putin before we start pointing fingers and washing our dirty laundry in public which is what Putin wants.
If we were The Hauge, UN, EU, Parliament or Scotland Yard, sure.

This is a forum that allows a reasonable amount of debate. Us discussing something here doesn't distract from anything, which was my point. All cards should be on the table, as long as it's about what's going on in Ukraine, not using it as a crutch for an agenda.

As a (moderate) lefty myself, I'm fucking thrilled that the west has come together to go against this fucking tyrant.

So Germany is increasing its defence budget to over 2% of GDP and exporting arms to a war zone for the first time since the 1940's - in Finland there is a push to join NATO and Sweden considering the same - Mad Vlad is achieving the exact opposite of what he set out to do
He made a massive ploy to destabilise the west, but now it counts, everyone has forgotten the petty squabbles and come together, the likes of which have never been seen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.