Russian invasion of Ukraine

I see bono has turned up now - for the first time ever I find myself actually hoping Putin uses a small nuclear weapon, although it would probably have to be fairly substantial to damage Bono's ego and self importance.
No doubt there's a tour and LP release soon. Just by pure coincedence you understand.

First of all can I say that I don't want to cause trouble when I ask what I'm about to ask, Putin did a terrible thing on 24th February and we should support Ukraine as should other countries too. But the thing is, today I read that Britain has pledged an extra £1.3 billion in military support to Ukraine.

Who is paying for this? Or is it part of the foreign aid budget?

I remember being shocked some time ago when I read - I can't recall the exact details - that it was around 2002 when the UK paid off the last installment of money owed to America for WWII !!!

So when all this is over and hopefully Ukraine can become a free sovereign state and one that is well resourced in natural materials that other countries are willing to pay for, will they pay us back?

Or is this money being given to Ukraine in the hope that Russia doesn't take control of their country and deny access to grain and other resources to anyone who helped Ukraine at this time?

P.S. On the resource issue I just can't comprehend how Germany/Hungary and others are still buying gas off Russia (even us a little bit, too) we are in effect bankrolling Russia in their attack on Ukraine whilst simultaneously sending money and arms to Ukraine to fight back!

The world is going mad.

P.P.S. What is this war doing to the issue of Global Warming too, nobody seems to say anything about that, tanks don't do many miles per gallon, that's for certain!

It's worth pointing out that a lot of this military aid is beneficial to both parties.

For example the bulk of the US Javelins sent to Ukraine were all going out of date and were due to cost tens of millions to decommission over the next couple of years.

Sending them to Ukraine actually saves the US money.

It's worth pointing out that a lot of this military aid is beneficial to both parties.

For example the bulk of the US Javelins sent to Ukraine were all going out of date and were due to cost tens of millions to decommission over the next couple of years.

Sending them to Ukraine actually saves the US money.
Is that the Use By dates or the Best Before dates?

There doesn't seem much likelihood of a settlement any time soon. I was surprised at the lack of shuttle diplomacy and maybe you can't negotiate with Putin but it did occur to me that maybe it suits NATO for Russia to punch itself out in Ukraine. What I'm thinking is they must hold a lot of sway with Zekenski as his weapons provider and I think they could get him to negotiate if they wanted too because he wouldn't really have any choice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.