Russian invasion of Ukraine

Do you mean withdraw?
seceded; seceding

Definition of secede

intransitive verb
: to withdraw from an organization (such as a religious communion or political party or federation)

seceded; seceding

Definition of secede

intransitive verb
: to withdraw from an organization (such as a religious communion or political party or federation)

No, words used in political contexts have different meanings. Nuance is important.

Dictionary definitions do not cover full meanings of words used in legal, political and diplomatic contexts.

States secede from USA but countries need only withdraw from NATO.

No, words used in political contexts have different meanings. Nuance is important.

Dictionary definitions do not cover full meanings of words used in legal, political and diplomatic contexts.

States secede from USA but countries need only withdraw from NATO.

Secede literally means, "to withdraw from an organization." I can't think of a word more apt for the possibility of Turkey's withdrawal from NATO - literally withdrawal from the NATO organization

The word "secede" in this context leapt immediately to mind and then onto the page.

Perhaps there's a UK versus USA nuance. In the USA, "secede" as I've used it is proper, although "withdraw" is also apt.

If there's a nuance between "withdraw" and "secede," to my mind the former is simply the act of removing an entity from a collective - whereas secede seems more serious - with the nuance that a promise or compact was broken. It's subtle though - but that's my impression.
===
As an aside, many years ago I wrote a series of articles for an American computer publication. My articles were accepted and then appeared in print - with my name on them.

I was horrified - however! The magazine's "editor" took many of my sentences and butchered them!

I'm not a perfect writer at all- and can recognize and accept improvements to my prose- but the "improvements" made by that editor were nothing short of criminal!

Last edited:
Secede literally means to withdraw from an organization. I can't think of a more apt word for the possibility of Turkey's withdrawal from NATO - literally withdrawal from the NATO organization

The word "secede" in this context leapt immediately to mind and then onto the page.

Perhaps there's a UK versus USA nuance. In the USA, secede as I've used it is proper, although "withdraw" is also apt.
===
As an aside, many years ago I wrote a series of articles for an American computer publication. My articles were accepted and then appeared in print - with my name on them.

I was horrified - however! The magazine's "editor" took many of my sentences and butchered them!

I'm not a perfect writer at all- and can recognize and accept improvements on my prose- but the "improvements" made by that editor were nothing short of criminal!

The more appropriate word is one you have just used: withdrawal.

Secede means unilateral and often where there is no mechanism for doing so.

France withdrew from NATO and were then readmitted, the UK didn't secede from the European Union.

Secede isn't used at all in the wiki article.

Secede literally means, "to withdraw from an organization." I can't think of a word more apt for the possibility of Turkey's withdrawal from NATO - literally withdrawal from the NATO organization

Perhaps there's a UK versus USA nuance. In the USA, "secede" as I've used it is proper, although "withdraw" is also apt.

If there's a nuance between "withdraw" and "secede," to my mind the former is simply the act of removing an entity from a collective - whereas secede seems more serious - with the nuance that a promise or compact was broken. It's subtle though - but that's my impression.
===

I'm not a perfect writer at all- and can recognize and accept improvements to my prose- but the "improvements" made by that editor were nothing short of criminal!
Erm, organisation and recognise if you please. ;-)

The more appropriate word is one you have just used: withdrawal.

Secede means unilateral and often where there is no mechanism for doing so.

France withdrew from NATO and were then readmitted, the UK didn't secede from the European Union.

Secede isn't used at all in the wiki article.
I used to have the OED in digital form. I can't find the full OED online. I'll see if I still have it somewhere and post back the OED full definition of "secede."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.