Russian invasion of Ukraine

Lol. Missing point. If I could find well respected literature online that used secede when talking about NATO then I would concede.
I think you miss the point.

The OED is the most respected authority on the proper use of words.

The OED is authoritative and exhaustive, full of use cases, history of usage and so on. My digital copy of the OED is from 25 years ago and is thus not up to modernity - but in terms of using a word correctly, I'll go with the OED everyday.

I've found some online respected literature using secede when discussing withdrawal from NATO - but it's rare. Hence, I've decided to look up the word according to the authority I most respect (if indeed I can find that years-old CD).

Although I intended to quote the OED verbatim, that would likely be a violation of copyright. Instead, I'll let you know what I find - if indeed I can find that old CD.

Last edited:
I think you miss the point.

The OED is the most respected authority on the proper use of words.

The OED is authoritative and exhaustive, full of use cases, history of usage and so on. My digital copy of the OED is from 25 years ago and is thus not up to modernity - but in terms of using a word correctly, I'll go with the OED everyday.

I've found some online respected literature using secede when discussing withdrawal from NATO - but it's rare. Hence, I've decided to look up the word according to the authority I most respect (if indeed I can find that years-old CD).

Although I intended to quote the OED verbatim, that would likely be a violation of copyright. Instead, I'll let you know what I find - if indeed I can find that old CD.

It’s not. No dictionary is.

The proper authority is contextual. E.g. a definition of a word within a legal context is contained within legal sources (case law, statutes, contracts).

Secede has different political connotations from withdrawal hence why it isn't used.

I don't wish to derail this thread further and so I won't be replying again. You can acknowledge the above points or dig in like a Russian conscript in Chernobyl.

It’s not. No dictionary is.

The proper authority is contextual. E.g. a definition of a word within a legal context is contained within legal sources (case law, statutes, contracts).

Secede has different political connotations from withdrawal hence why it isn't used.

I don't wish to derail this thread further and so I won't be replying again. You can acknowledge the above points or dig in like a Russian conscript in Chernobyl.
If I'm trying to write something I consider important and am considering the use of a particular word, I do not Google-research usage. Instead, I go to the Oxford English Dictionary.

Beats me why you'd do otherwise for common, everyday use cases. I'd possibly refer to some other source if I were trying to use a word in a very technical context.

Also beats me why you're breaking off discussion - sore loser? Pride of original post? Other?

Me? - I accept your criticism of my usage, though I disagree. You've made a good case for your opinion though - to the extent that I'm interested in referring to the most authoritative use of the English language I know of - the OED. You however seem intent on preemptively discrediting the OED for whatever reason.

As someone supposedly interested in proper usage of words - I find your attitude - disingenuous incongruous.

Last edited:
The russians certainly like to tell independent countries how they should behave. I hope Finland ans Sweden do join NATO, it will be a big "fuck you" to putin.
If they do join can they then go and retake the area that russia stole in 1945? They can use the same argument that was used for the invasion of Crimea in 2014

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.