Russian invasion of Ukraine

I am seeing that Ukrainian air force pilots are in the UK doing familiarisation training on the American A10's - as thats a plane designed to attack Russian tanks in a cold war scenario if the Americans supply them to Ukraine that could be a massive game changer

Love the Warthogs.
I saw a squadron badge at an airshow with the caption: "Don't run away - it will take us longer to kill you!"
The 7 barrel Gatling will make mincemeat of the orc defences.
Shame.

Tank busters. Mental aircraft, designed to be able to take heavy fire but dish out even more.

Very odd choice of aircraft to train them on.

They're amazing ground support weapons but only in a warzone where you have complete control of the air. That's why they have become cult heroes in Iraq/Afghanistan where the Taliban/ISIS/Al Quaeda have no defence against them.

They would be sitting ducks against SU-35s and SU-27s and very vulnerable to Surface to air missile systems.

They're amazing ground support weapons but only in a warzone where you have complete control of the air. They would be sitting ducks against SU-35s and SU-27s.
You mean the Russian planes that are hardly ever in the air?

Not sure they are to be honest, I don't think the americans use them any more, so giving them a "new use" is good, they'll fly very low to avoid SAM's, and be able take out the tanks even more easily.

The way the russians fight (stupidly) I'd say they are pretty much ideal, I wouldn't want to be tank crew if these turn up on the front line as well.

Not sure they are to be honest, I don't think the americans use them any more, so giving them a "new use" is good, they'll fly very low to avoid SAM's, and be able take out the tanks even more easily.

The way the russians fight (stupidly) I'd say they are pretty much ideal, I wouldn't want to be tank crew if these turn up on the front line as well.
There are still multiple squadrons based all over the US. Idaho National Guard are always training on them any time I fly through Boise

Think i read summat a couple of month back saying the US was gonna mothball them all???

Slava Ukraini.

They can't operate while Russia has a functioning air force.

Reading the Time article the news has come from, it seems like it's never going to happen, the US has never hinted at promising any, a Ukrainian with some contacts just got his hands on some simulators in the hope one day the US might send some.

There are still multiple squadrons based all over the US. Idaho National Guard are always training on them any time I fly through Boise
Think i read summat a couple of month back saying the US was gonna mothball them all???

Slava Ukraini.
Yeah @SPIDERBOY that's what I thought I'd read, in fact I thought I'd read they had been mothballed, but I bow to @idahoblues more local knowledge, either way in this conflict and the way the russians behave, they would be a very significant force imho.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.