Russian invasion of Ukraine

These missile attacks seem to be a desperate last throw of the dice for a degenerate gambler who's lost nearly everything. He's fucked, he knows he's fucked and his time is limited. He knows he's going down and wants to take as many as he can down first. Wouldn't surprise me if the ice picks are being sharpened near the Kremlin.

I'm sceptical that they have the capability to sustain this.

And I suspect Ukrainians will get better at air defence if they try.

Perhaps rather than any kind of military rationale, it's better to think of this as propaganda aimed not so much at Urkrainians but more at Putin's internal audience: he needs to be able to show he's still powerful after suffering so many humiliations.

On the humiliation front, it seems possible that even in order to be able to murder civilians like this, he has had to rely on Iranian supplied drones in large part, Russia not being capable itself even of this crime, let alone winning on the battlefield.
In terms of sustaining its attack, it's unclear quite how many of such missiles Russia still has; it has built many but the supply isn't limitless. However, the number it has already fired this morning would suggest it is going for a huge show of force today. That said, it would still have enough to keep the threat of daily attacks alive. After all, their new general knows that he cannot get his mobilized men into position on the ground quickly enough, let alone supply those in place, so opening up a domestic front buys him a little time.

In terms of defence, Ukraine needs to be given the most effective air defense systems it requires.

I mentioned in an earlier post that today's attacks are largely for Russia's domestic consumption and an attempt to reverse the trend of negative news. As you say, Russia is increasingly reliant on foreign support, which is why it might be interesting to keep an eye on what Belorussia does next.

xena-xena-warrior-princess.gif

These rocket strikes seem similar to Nazi style retribution tactics. When Nazi occupying forces faced resistance attacks they would just commit an atrocity with 10x the scale. The aim being to turn the people against their own resistance movements. This is just revenge for the bridge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.