Russian invasion of Ukraine

Yesterday's news that Russia had borrowed 13.6bn dollars IN A SINGLE DAY to aid its faltering war effort just illustrates the desperation that Putin is suffering. With a population of 144 million given such a debt in their name, then when incomes aren't enough to feed themselves then surely the population are going to openly question what the feck is going on.
It's a bit difficult when you utter what the feck is going on and are never seen again though.

I’m in no way attempting to give Russians any credit, but where does 80% approval come from/who reports that? I mean, Russia also reported that the recent annexation of invaded Ukraine was approved by over 90% of the invaded population…which might be a bit of a stretch of the truth.

Whilst it is difficult to establish exact details of the source of the statistics without paying a subscription to Statista, the fact that the statistics are published by an multinational organisation based in Germany would suggest that the figures are more reliable than those published by the Russian government about opinions in occupied Crimea.
Putin's approval figure from Russian government polls is 104%.

Russians getting ready for a major Ukrainian assault southwards. Suprised the Ukrainians haven't started preparing the ground for the assault to be honest.

I'm endlessly fascinated by how unhinged parts of the Russian public debate are, and how pundits keep changing their tune about what the facts on the ground are, what Russia's objectives are, and how they should be achieved.

Threats of nuclear war now seem to have gone out of fashion along with daydreams about how western Europeans will freeze and go broke without Russian gas. Now they're advocating for the systematic destruction of civilian Ukrainian infrastructure so that children and the elderly will freeze and starve to death, and they hallucinate that this will cause an uprising against Zelensky and force him to capitulate. And they don't seem particularly bothered that they're admitting Russian war crimes either. Bonkers.

I watched that and had flashbacks to that Dad's Army episode.... "Don't tell him Pike"
Except in this case, we have all the names of those talking heads on their propaganda platform.
Each one of them espousing war crimes, feeding hatred. Sadly, once the Ukrainians have finally kicked them out, I doubt that any of them will have to account for their weasel words.
I do hope in the future I will get the watch those self same talking heads wringing their hands as they wonder if the Russian population will rise up to hold them to account for their deception.

Russians getting ready for a major Ukrainian assault southwards. Suprised the Ukrainians haven't started preparing the ground for the assault to be honest.

They'd hardly publicise it if they had, that would ruin the surprise.

This lecture is worth spending an hour watching if you, like me, have been wondering why the Russians are so different in their thinking from western Europeans. It is in Finnish but there are English subtitles available.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.