Russian invasion of Ukraine

You don’t need any knowledge or understanding of the conflict and the history to answer the first question!
I love it when you Rumpole on me...
:)

I think China could hold Putin to accepting he gets new territory to say how good he is and the US keeping Ukraine to their side of it with offering to rebuild their country (for a price of course). Which could be a more western style democracy model with NATO being in all but name protecting them.

Putin has painted himself into a corner really as far as negotiations go. Ukraine understandably won't accept any kind of peace deal unless it includes the protection of NATO membership, yet Putin himself pivoted to the main objective of his war being preventing the expansion of NATO borders. The only way to peace now is to force him to his knees to the point where the perceived failure of NATO expansion becomes more palatable to him than the alternative.

Putin has painted himself into a corner really as far as negotiations go. Ukraine understandably won't accept any kind of peace deal unless it includes the protection of NATO membership, yet Putin himself pivoted to the main objective of his war being preventing the expansion of NATO borders. The only way to peace now is to force him to his knees to the point where the perceived failure of NATO expansion becomes more palatable to him than the alternative.
NATO is very unlikely to offer Ukraine membership in the short term, so the question is whether the West could offer any defence assurances to Ukraine that would be credible and robust enough to secure a peace deal.

Difficult to see how that could happen given that Russia wouldn’t allow any NATO troops in Ukraine.

NATO is very unlikely to offer Ukraine membership in the short term, so the question is whether the West could offer any defence assurances to Ukraine that would be credible and robust enough to secure a peace deal.

Difficult to see how that could happen given that Russia wouldn’t allow any NATO troops in Ukraine.
Didn't Jen's Stoltenberg day only last week that NATO would welcome Ukraine into the family?

A barmaid in the pub at lunch told me she was from Kiev and had migrated over for her own safety. Just like when a Scouser told me he’d been at Hillsborough, I had no response. You just don’t know what to say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.