Russian invasion of Ukraine

Because they are not in control of all their territory and NATO membership rules require that there are no border disputes with neighbours.
They could easily acknowledge that and communicate it, but NATO has chosen not to as there are meaningful differences of opinion as to how to support Ukraine over the long term.

The US is reportedly happier offering more assistance rather than full membership, others see it differently, and they are struggling to arrive at a compromise before the July summit. To say that Ukraine will immediately join NATO at the end of the conflict is an oversimplification.

They could easily acknowledge that and communicate it, but NATO has chosen not to as there are meaningful differences of opinion as to how to support Ukraine over the long term.

The US is reportedly happier offering more assistance rather than full membership, others see it differently, and they are struggling to arrive at a compromise before the July summit. To say that Ukraine will immediately join NATO at the end of the conflict is an oversimplification.
Have you any links to support that opinion because everything I’ve seen firmly suggests that as soon as it’s over Ukraine will be fast tracked into membership like Finland just has and Sweden imminently. They have already applied for membership last October.

Have you any links to support that opinion because everything I’ve seen firmly suggests that as soon as it’s over Ukraine will be fast tracked into membership like Finland just has and Sweden imminently. They have already applied for membership last October.
It’s been quite widely reported that NATO is struggling to reach a common position ahead of July, and that Zelenskyy could refuse to attend the summit unless a clear accession timeline is presented to him.

I don’t think he’d be floating that unless there was some jeopardy about it.

I would imagine that the moment Ukraine has reclaimed the territory with which it is satisfied and there is an end to the conflict, then the EU will arrange its membership tout de suite. The suffering it has endured and the investment made would make the usual snail’s pace of fulfilment and ratification unnecessarily punitive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.