Russian invasion of Ukraine

From "The Analyst":

FRONT UPDATE 3/4 DECEMBER

NORTH

The Russians seem to have made a quick advance from their westward pointing salient around Kremina. It suddenly increased in combat tempo with both sides claiming ground taken - it seems the Ukrainians advanced in one area but a Russian attack advanced to the south of it and took a considerable slice of land.
There’s not a great deal of granular detail on how this unfolded so hopefully more later.
Literally just south of this salient in the Surabianski forest the Ukrainians seem to have made some gains.

BAKHMUT

Russian forces have continued to push back on the length of the Klieshievka-Andrivka line making small put continuous gains along the various water features there. They have almost completely pushed Ukraine away from the railway line now.

AVDIVKA

Russian forces continue to make gains pushing north from Opytne on the southern pincer.
On the northern pincer Russian forces have gained control over the eastern outskirts of Stepove and have seemingly managed to keep it this time. A significant tree line to the south of Stepove is also under clear Russian control and is most of a kilometre long.
These two events mark a significant weakening of the defence lines. It places the main road in to Avdivka even closer and threatens the enveloping of the coking plant form the north. Coupled to the moves up from the south it’s not a pretty picture mid to long term.
Unless there is some kind of major counter attack to reverse Russian gains the depth of the neck that has Avdivka at the end of it is going to become rapidly untenable.
The Russians seem to have chosen the pincers as the primary pressure points now. Even small advances here on what’s is a very long and difficult Ukrainian defence line, mean they will either have to withdraw at a rapid pace or face complete encirclement in the city and a siege they can’t ultimately win.

MARINKA

This area has been static for months and suddenly there has been and exchange over the past week with some Russian and Ukrainian gains.
The area has suddenly become contested again and combat has intensified.

ROBOTYNE SALIENT

Ukraine keeps the Russians focused here by continuing to make attacks towards Kopani and Novopropopivka, but this seems to me more about keeping the Russians engaged and disinclined to leave and get deployed somewhere they might do more damage. I suspect too, that as long as Ukraine maintains light offensive operations its stops the Russians from building up forces to expunge the salient.

KHERSON: nothing new to report except more of the same. Russia tries to remove the Ukrainians and they aren’t going anywhere.

The real concern is of course, Avdivka. It’s slowly deteriorating. Russia loses stacks of men and equipment but it hasn’t stopped them and unless the tempo of destruction can be stepped up to a level where it does make them pause, it seems otherwise relentless. It’s at this point the lack of aid packages from the US and the lack of artillery ammo promised from Europe is starting to notice. Ukraine doesn’t have enough to stop what’s happening.

Slava Ukraini !

I've found some of the pessimism of late (mainly aimed towards the success of the Ukraine Armed Forces) slightly bizarre. It's like it's somehow come of a shock to the western world. I mean who'd have thought a country with virtually no navy, no air control and extremely limited amounts of NATO equipment, filtering through at snails pace, might struggle to defeat the 2nd biggest military power on the planet, that are quite literally all in.

It's amazing that it's even got to this stage, that Ukraine are somehow seen as failing for not defeating a far superior military power and not the other way round. I mean, what do we actually expect from Ukraine? We (and I mean the collective west) equip them half arsed at best while Putin is spending 40% of his entire budget on defence.

It's becoming clearer to me that the pentagon don't actually want full blown Russian defeat in this war, they worry about the unpredictability that would follow and are happier to chip away, weakening Russia's stature in the world while allowing Ukraine bodies to pile high and do the dirty work. All that being said, as long as Ukraine stay in the fight then the the repercussions of this war in Russia are surely irreversible. Putin is all in because his life depends on it, while hundreds of thousands of other lives will be pointlessly lost over his imperialist views. It's just whether Ukraine and the west have the desire to see it through.

I've found some of the pessimism of late (mainly aimed towards the success of the Ukraine Armed Forces) slightly bizarre. It's like it's somehow come of a shock to the western world. I mean who'd have thought a country with virtually no navy, no air control and extremely limited amounts of NATO equipment, filtering through at snails pace, might struggle to defeat the 2nd biggest military power on the planet, that are quite literally all in.

It's amazing that it's even got to this stage, that Ukraine are somehow seen as failing for not defeating a far superior military power and not the other way round. I mean, what do we actually expect from Ukraine? We (and I mean the collective west) equip them half arsed at best while Putin is spending 40% of his entire budget on defence.

It's becoming clearer to me that the pentagon don't actually want full blown Russian defeat in this war, they worry about the unpredictability that would follow and are happier to chip away, weakening Russia's stature in the world while allowing Ukraine bodies to pile high and do the dirty work. All that being said, as long as Ukraine stay in the fight then the the repercussions of this war in Russia are surely irreversible. Putin is all in because his life depends on it, while hundreds of thousands of other lives will be pointlessly lost over his imperialist views. It's just whether Ukraine and the west have the desire to see it through.

The way the likes of Petraeus speaks I get a feeling the Pentagon are frustrated with how the funding has been going.

It is Vitali, he is quite famous, and you got the city name wrong too as well as his surname.

Such expert knowledge on countries names you can't spell too.
Of course - I don't spend any time checking, I have better things to do with my time- I leave that to others.

I mean the words from Stoltenberg that Ukraine hasn’t had the artillery it needed and is unlikely to get it, Petraeus saying you can’t beat the sort of defences the Russians have built without air superiority (and luck, and artillery) and the White House saying the boxed off funds that MAGAts can’t interfere with have almost run dry feel like a pretty transparent soft announcement of what has seemed likely for a long time now.

Namely, the US can’t/won’t fund another offensive next spring and with the US out, France and Germany will disappear into the shadows and Ukraine will be forced to the negotiating table sooner rather than later, Crimea ‘officially’ lost, Ukraine brought into NATO and the EU and Moldova invaded in pretty short order.

From "The Analyst":

FRONT UPDATE 3/4 DECEMBER

NORTH

The Russians seem to have made a quick advance from their westward pointing salient around Kremina. It suddenly increased in combat tempo with both sides claiming ground taken - it seems the Ukrainians advanced in one area but a Russian attack advanced to the south of it and took a considerable slice of land.
There’s not a great deal of granular detail on how this unfolded so hopefully more later.
Literally just south of this salient in the Surabianski forest the Ukrainians seem to have made some gains.

BAKHMUT

Russian forces have continued to push back on the length of the Klieshievka-Andrivka line making small put continuous gains along the various water features there. They have almost completely pushed Ukraine away from the railway line now.

AVDIVKA

Russian forces continue to make gains pushing north from Opytne on the southern pincer.
On the northern pincer Russian forces have gained control over the eastern outskirts of Stepove and have seemingly managed to keep it this time. A significant tree line to the south of Stepove is also under clear Russian control and is most of a kilometre long.
These two events mark a significant weakening of the defence lines. It places the main road in to Avdivka even closer and threatens the enveloping of the coking plant form the north. Coupled to the moves up from the south it’s not a pretty picture mid to long term.
Unless there is some kind of major counter attack to reverse Russian gains the depth of the neck that has Avdivka at the end of it is going to become rapidly untenable.
The Russians seem to have chosen the pincers as the primary pressure points now. Even small advances here on what’s is a very long and difficult Ukrainian defence line, mean they will either have to withdraw at a rapid pace or face complete encirclement in the city and a siege they can’t ultimately win.

MARINKA

This area has been static for months and suddenly there has been and exchange over the past week with some Russian and Ukrainian gains.
The area has suddenly become contested again and combat has intensified.

ROBOTYNE SALIENT

Ukraine keeps the Russians focused here by continuing to make attacks towards Kopani and Novopropopivka, but this seems to me more about keeping the Russians engaged and disinclined to leave and get deployed somewhere they might do more damage. I suspect too, that as long as Ukraine maintains light offensive operations its stops the Russians from building up forces to expunge the salient.

KHERSON: nothing new to report except more of the same. Russia tries to remove the Ukrainians and they aren’t going anywhere.

The real concern is of course, Avdivka. It’s slowly deteriorating. Russia loses stacks of men and equipment but it hasn’t stopped them and unless the tempo of destruction can be stepped up to a level where it does make them pause, it seems otherwise relentless. It’s at this point the lack of aid packages from the US and the lack of artillery ammo promised from Europe is starting to notice. Ukraine doesn’t have enough to stop what’s happening.

Slava Ukraini !
I'm not too sure on the Avdiivka bit...IMO.

Slava Ukraini.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.