Russian invasion of Ukraine

Trouble is that defence costs have spiralled due to 2 x Carriers and the aircraft for them, plus next gen weapons. In the old days, it was tanks and boots on the ground etc. What it cost for 1 of the carriers would have probably kept the old armed forces of the 70’s going for 5 years or more but nowadays, no chance. Add to that, try getting more people to join the forces if they think there’s a chance we will be fighting Russia and you’d be lucky. I speak as someone who was in for 22 yrs and got out in ‘97. I’m sure that NATO is learning from what is happening currently and training on drones/EW will be on the up…this will negate the need for so many troops, but they will always be needed, as will the US. Whatever we think, we can’t do it without them. I’m hoping for some sane minds over there to pull his plug instead of leading them into nuclear oblivion…

Spend less money on other things.
Easy to say, but what ?

NHS, education, infrastucture ?

For instance the nhs where I live is broken beyond repair, the roads I drive on regularly, are basically shattered, another year of no spending on them, and we might as well get the russians to bomb them to improve things.

We can't just pour money into defence, even if we should, the money has to be spread round, and the next government won't improve anything, whoever they are, and nobody wants to pay more tax.

Trouble is that defence costs have spiralled due to 2 x Carriers and the aircraft for them, plus next gen weapons. In the old days, it was tanks and boots on the ground etc. What it cost for 1 of the carriers would have probably kept the old armed forces of the 70’s going for 5 years or more but nowadays, no chance. Add to that, try getting more people to join the forces if they think there’s a chance we will be fighting Russia and you’d be lucky. I speak as someone who was in for 22 yrs and got out in ‘97. I’m sure that NATO is learning from what is happening currently and training on drones/EW will be on the up…this will negate the need for so many troops, but they will always be needed, as will the US. Whatever we think, we can’t do it without them. I’m hoping for some sane minds over there to pull his plug instead of leading them into nuclear oblivion…
We spend the extra money on Drones and aircraft if we can't get the people on ships and in the Army.

Easy to say, but what ?

NHS, education, infrastucture ?

For instance the nhs where I live is broken beyond repair, the roads I drive on regularly, are basically shattered, another year of no spending on them, and we might as well get the russians to bomb them to improve things.

We can't just pour money into defence, even if we should, the money has to be spread round, and the next government won't improve anything, whoever they are, and nobody wants to pay more tax.
We did it before and we can do it again .It needs strong leadership. But its possible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.