Saturday 13th July 1985 - Live Aid

Was amazing. Also 2 great docos knocking about about making Band Aid over here and the We are the world over there with the lunatics, one was on the beeb and one is on netflix.

All events that must have taken some doing, and managing of egos. Quincy Jones sorted the one with the gun wielders, and Midge Ure sorted ours, then that Harvey Goldsmith had to sort Wembley out.

Great day. Sorted George Michael out for a solo career, and as said Queen were brilliant. Watched it start to end, cant believe its nearly 40 yrs ago ffs. World changing event. Phil Collins (RIP) had a busy day

39 years ago today.

It was a fantastic day, which raised a great deal of money for a very worthy cause.

Statue Quo's opening the show with Rockin' All Over The World set the tone for the day.

My highlight was Queen. They stole the show, as far as I’m concerned. The audience mimicking the video for Radio Ga-Ga gave me goosebumps.
I was at Chester Races on my mate's stag do, narrowly avoided a disaster as the coach we were on tried to back up as we departed trapping three of us between the coach and a wall, one of our party managed to stop the driver going any further, just a few seconds from serious injuries or worse.

Mate and his wife are still together, 2 boys, one Gay living the scene in New York, the other a real athlete, loves his cycling and keep fit, both loved equally by their mum and dad.

Great day that, ended up watching a a couple of hours in a Chester boozer but the day eventually took its toll, good memories.

An historic day in music.

I was an impressionable 14 year old and was transfixed by it all.

Not that it's a competition, but if Queen won the day, U2 were a close second

Queen with a great catalogue of hits, and U2's version of Bad, which overran, so they had to drop a song from their set - when Bono danced with that girl from the crowd and also ad libbed a couple of Lou Reed songs, it was amazing.

Other highlights (for me)

Status Quo - Rocking All Over The World as the opener for the day was the tits
Phil Collins - we all know the opinion of him on here, but Against All Odds is a good song and when he played a bum note he was gutted!!
Boomtown Rats- when Geldof sings the line "and the lesson today is how to die" then holds the mic in the air
David Bowie - Heroes (immense)

A great nostalgic day

I had a great day in Philly. Nobody told me that they wouldn't accept Canadian money though. Thankfully everyone around me and my mate was happy to feed and water us as long as we shared the 1/2 oz of black hash we had brought with us.

Lonesome George with Albert Collins for a "Fuck yeah".

Went to a wedding that day, but watched some of it at the reception, not a huge Queen fan but they were immense, what a brilliant performance.

Roger was there but only backstage
And Dave was there playing guitar for Ferry but they hated each other by then so no chance of a Floyd appearance

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.