Saturday 13th July 1985 - Live Aid

Me and then girlfriend actually had tickets for Wembley.
But then realised it fell out on my mum's birthday and we knew that it would be her last.
Went for a family meal (Barnaby Rudge!) and in pub beforehand it was on the TV.
She said "I'm suprised you two aren't at that ... " :-)

Although I’ve seen most of it on TV reruns and video (soon after), missed the day itself as I was on exercise with BAOR in Vogalsang in the former West Germany. Phil Collins playing both Philadelphia and Wembley is still incredible, loads of back stories from that day, Queen wondering how they would be received due to their Sun City performance, Collins getting slagged off by Led Zeppelin, Madonna having a pop at critics. Apparently a lot of US bands snubbed the Philadelphia show and thus we had a lot of Brits performing. All pure legend.

I worked the Saturday morning at Mathewes & Yeats in Swinton. 12.00 a load of us went in the Weavers Arms next door. We were still in there 12hrs later. What a great day. Never had a day like it! Don't rember much of the concert.

Last edited:
These… I can’t believe it was that long ago, things, seem to have jumped from 20 years ago to nearly 40 in the blink of an eye.

Anyway, I know where I was. Stuck in a hospital bed for a month in Withington Hospital with a broken leg.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.