savic watch

BillyShears said:
I thought he did really well last night, even taking into account how poor Villareal were.

One thing I don't understand is peoples obsession with his passing ability (or more to the point, Lescott's lack of). The reality is that we are chock full of players who can pass the ball, and the vast majority of our attacking play is built studiously from NDJ/Yaya/Barry collecting the ball in our half and dictating play from there. It matters not one jot IMO whether both of our centre halves can play 5 - a - side like a Brazilian. I care only that they defend resolutely and dominate their opponents whether that be aerially or on the ground.

It remains to be seen whether Savic will develop into the player we'd like him to. I remember when Mancini blooded Boyata he was being lauded because of his "ball playing" skills.
The issue is that opposition clubs are starting to and going to continue dropping deep, packing the midfield, and pressing our midfielders tightly. Having someone they don't have to put one of their players within 15 yards of means they have an extra man to press with. We don't need Lescott or Kompany or Savic to be like Nasri or Silva or even De Jong. We do need them to be able to put a pass forward to a midfielder on the move. Lescott has improved in this regard, but it is not an infrequent occurrence for him to have 15 yards of space standing within 5 yards of the midfield line only to pass all the way back to Hart the moment an opposition player starts moving towards him.

Airbags Optional said:
I like the look of him, seems to be good on the ball and loves a tackle. Has Chumps league experience and quite a few caps for his country, I think he will be replacing Lescott in the future (even though JC has had a great start to the season).

Be interesting to see Savic at the weekend against QPR as I think they will be 100 mph and try to get in our faces.

You really think mancini will look to replace Lescott with a right footed player?

BillyShears said:
I thought he did really well last night, even taking into account how poor Villareal were.

One thing I don't understand is peoples obsession with his passing ability (or more to the point, Lescott's lack of). The reality is that we are chock full of players who can pass the ball, and the vast majority of our attacking play is built studiously from NDJ/Yaya/Barry collecting the ball in our half and dictating play from there. It matters not one jot IMO whether both of our centre halves can play 5 - a - side like a Brazilian. I care only that they defend resolutely and dominate their opponents whether that be aerially or on the ground.

It remains to be seen whether Savic will develop into the player we'd like him to. I remember when Mancini blooded Boyata he was being lauded because of his "ball playing" skills.

The reason its important is because when teams are putting numbers behind the ball, you need a defender to step forward and play the ball through midfield. This does two things, it draws players to the defender and creates space for the midfielders. If your passing the ball back to your keeper and other defenders, the opposition is under no pressure. Savic is not ever going to really need to be a backs to the wall defender (Dunne), so his passing and technical ability become more vital. Look at Pique, he is not what I would call an amazing defender, but his all round game makes up for it and he is one of the most versatile defenders in Europe.

thought he was poor against qpr.first start in a pl game.he looks like a child in a amns game.especially in air.
But what can be expected from a 20 years old thin cb.
He needs to put on some weight.
Bothroyd was winning every header.
Hope he will get better in air.
Pl is this tough.he must have got alesson.
I have no doubt he will be good in the games to come

it was his first PL start yday so want to say well done!
but he was out of his depth yday but he will learn from it and come back better everyone can see he has talent.

Dzeko, Kompany, Kolarov all needed a season before they showed their best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.