Scotland at the Euros

The difference is that in Bale and Ramsey, Wales have two class players - both past their best but against a team like Turkey it is enough to make the difference. Scotland don't have any players with that ability - Tierney could be but hasn't shown it yet, Robertson for all he was won with Liverpool doesn't have the range of ability that helps a journeyman team to become better than that. So that leaves us with organisation and hope for the lucky break. Clarke has gone with organisation and that resulted in the qualification - but as you've said elsewhere failed to make the changes that could have brought younger in-form players into the team at the expense of those who earned the qualification.

I'm not sure what is going to be less embarrassing - the same players with a backs-to the wall performance that keeps the score down to 1,2,3, or making changes, having a go and stripping the confidence of young players. if they get done by 4 or 5. I would rather see us have a go - but expect to see the pragmatic approach of same team with Adams in for Christie (which means Dykes stays I'm afraid) - plus Tierney for Cooper if fit, (although I would rather it was Hanley who dropped out). Backs to the wall and hope for a lucky break.

Perhaps the Croatia game will be the day for changes - bit like 78 when the team that should have started was finally discovered again the Netherlands.
I hear what you are saying about the young players but I don't agree. I don't know if you played football, I did as s young guy and I loved playing against the better teams, where I could test myself. I loved it. It made me a better player and gave me confidence. It was a battle and you didn't always win, but it moulded you. I feel the same about young Turnbull, Gilmour, Patterson these are the types of games where we see what they are about. If I were any of them I would be bursting to play. If they crumble, then that won't destroy them, it will forge them in the heat of battle. If they cope they will be much better players. They will grow up. If we don't give them a chance what message does that send out to our young players? And remember, look at the young players for other countries holding they own and excelling. It's not as if they are 16. There are times in life when you need to stand up and be counted. To take a risk and to trust talent over pragmatism. We know what will happen if we play safe with players who try but are out of their depth. We should also be excited by the younger hungry players, who could lift us and land a few punches. I would rather that if we are to fall, we do after having a right go and showing we have talent. To inspire our kids to want to play back home and know if they are good enough, they are old enough. The young men I'm taking about are good enough. Give them a chance and take England on and push them all the fucking way.

Last edited:
If we play Mcginn, Turnbull, Gilmour in there we play. If not, we huff and puff and give you the ball back. 20 minutes? Where you typing it trapped under a washine machine?

No chance Clarke will start both Gilmour and Turnbull, likely not either. Think it'll be the same 3 in the middle from the first game, hoping for an upgrade from O'Donnell with either Patterson or Forrest starting and Adams up top, possibly with Fraser.

No chance Clarke will start both Gilmour and Turnbull, likely not either. Think it'll be the same 3 in the middle from the first game, hoping for an upgrade from O'Donnell with either Patterson or Forrest starting and Adams up top, possibly with Fraser.
Fraser is a man down. He's utter pish. I know cautious Clarke won't, but thats why he will never be a top manager. If he shites it, which he will, we go out with a whimper and he's finished. Conversely, if he goes with the talent we have and we play well he moves forward. He is like a accountant CEO of a company, they will tick over and back away from any risk that makes great companies. Putting in real talent should be seen as an opportunity, not a risk too far. I wouldn't be advocating their inclusion if I didn't believe in them. He should too. He won't because he's a dour safety first type. But what's safe about putting players in who aren't even remotely good enough? That's shitebaggery.

Last edited:
Fraser is a man down. He's utter pish. I know cautious Clarke won't, but thats why he will never be a top manager. If he shites it, which he will, we go out with a whimper and he's finished. Conversely, if he goes with the talent we have and we play well he moves forward. He is like a accountant CEO of a company, they will tick over and back away from any risk that makes great companies. Putting in real talent should be seen as an opportunity, not a risk too far. I wouldn't be advocating their inclusion if I didn't believe in them. He should too. He won't because he's a dour safety first type. But what's safe about putting players in who aren't even remotely good enough? That's shitebaggery.

He maybe prioritises experience over exuberance so Armstrong and McTominay are the natural choices there. Played against this opposition at PL level many times. I'd love us to have a go and to start well as we did against the Dutch, penning them in over the first few minutes. If England can be rattled they can bottle it.

With you though and can see coming away from this with more frustration of missed opportunities. Who knows... Croatia might be rank again and drop points leaving it all on the last game, but we've been there before...

He maybe prioritises experience over exuberance so Armstrong and McTominay are the natural choices there. Played against this opposition at PL level many times. I'd love us to have a go and to start well as we did against the Dutch, penning them in over the first few minutes. If England can be rattled they can bottle it.

With you though and can see coming away from this with more frustration of missed opportunities. Who knows... Croatia might be rank again and drop points leaving it all on the last game, but we've been there before...
We have been there too many times. The feeling of losing is always worse if we don't have a go. Armstrong is a good player, but he and McTittery did fuck all. Why go with them would be my position.. playing in the Prem isn't enough, doing the business is enough. If Clarke follows his instincts it will be the same old, Oh they tried hard shite. Build a team.around the best players. Find a system that supports that. Football wise against the Czechs we did fuck all. Turnbull can make brilliant forward passes, can score from set pieces. Gilmour can find a pass and dribble. Patterson is hard as nails, good defender and can dribble and get forward. O'Donnell's best tackle was against Christie. His passing was embarressing and he gets caught out of position. No harm to the lad, but he can't cut it. Right now our bags are getting packed. It's not time to play safe. It's time to play, and these young guys can. Give them.a chance. They are the future of our hopes, let thst future start tomorrow. The country will get behind that. It won't of we shite it. Shiting it is not the Scottish way. Let's take the cunts on.

This is a song I love in so many ways. Tomorrow we need to play our best players, stand up and fight like Scotsmen. I chose the lyric version..I love them..

Burn The White Flag.

Scotland will struggle to score, they need a bollock from the England defence. England should have no trouble scoring and Kane might even turn up this time.
I hope he doesn't. And you are right, we have the worst attack I can remember for a while.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.