Scottish independence

BigJimLittleJim said:
cibaman said:
Ifwecouldjust....... said:
Only because the people of Scotland were sold a lie about Devo Max and its timescales for implementation. That Lie (the vow made by George Brown) possibly swung the vote by the 5% needed ......no wonder he's pissed off

We'll never know whether Brown's intervention swung the vote at all, its just as possible that the opinion polls were wrong. But it will always be used as a stick to beat the UK government unless they introduce devo max very quickly. There's a lot of politicking going on at the moment about the impact on England, but in the end I think they'll stick to their promise, I dont really believe that Cameron, Milliband and Clegg want to be tarred with the brush of being such bare faced liars prior to the general election. And if they do renege I fully expect to see poll tax scale riots in Scotland leading up to the general election.

I would have thought protests and action such as the petrol protestors used not so long ago will be the way forward - blocking oil tankers, motorways, that sort of thing - hit the English in the pockets, especially big business - the government will soon find a quick solution.

Or you could just stamp your feet and be even more childish.

We'll never know whether Brown's intervention swung the vote at all,

Yes we will, the vote was a farce from the start because it was rigged to give a no result.

What will now be interesting is the fact that the jocks get £1200 per person more spent on them than the English has come to light, maybe we will now get a vote to get shut of them ?

The vote was nothing to do with Devo Max or any other promises. It was 'should Scotland go independent?' A very straightforward yes or no question and the people voted 'no'.

And that should be the end of it. Unfortunately the bully boys of the Yes campaign are now stamping their feet and spitting their dummies out and doing all they can to divide Scotland and stir up sectarianism.

Cameron and co should never have made any promises because all it's done is give Salmond and co a bit of rope. It's fuelled the fire and I think we're going to see a lot of trouble north of the border over the next year or so. Meanwhile their elderly get free care while ours have to give up their life savings and possessions to pay for theirs.

masterwig said:
The vote was nothing to do with Devo Max or any other promises. It was 'should Scotland go independent?' A very straightforward yes or no question and the people voted 'no'.

And that should be the end of it. Unfortunately the bully boys of the Yes campaign are now stamping their feet and spitting their dummies out and doing all they can to divide Scotland and stir up sectarianism.

Cameron and co should never have made any promises because all it's done is give Salmond and co a bit of rope. It's fuelled the fire and I think we're going to see a lot of trouble north of the border over the next year or so. Meanwhile their elderly get free care while ours have to give up their life savings and possessions to pay for theirs.

And their kids get free Universities while ours get a life of debt for the pleasure. Oh and don't even start me on the EU student fiasco!

There should be no more evolution for the Scots until they have answered this Midlothian question.

blueonblue said:

Yes we will, the vote was a farce from the start because it was rigged to give a no result.

What will now be interesting is the fact that the jocks get £1200 per person more spent on them than the English has come to light, maybe we will now get a vote to get shut of them ?

This has been explained many times but its obvious the reason more is spent per person in Scotland is because of how the population is spread out. England's population is largely focused in cities where money spent can reach a greater number of people effectively whereas in Scotland the population is more dispersed and a greater percentage live in locations without as much infrastructure and services.

I don't know how England spends its money in each part of the country but if it was being spread fairly, the rural areas of England should in theory be receiving the same £ per person as Scotland roughly due to the similarities.

Also I think it was said Scotland contributes more to the UK than it receives when you include taxes so it roughly evens out.

bluemoon32 said:
BigJimLittleJim said:
cibaman said:
We'll never know whether Brown's intervention swung the vote at all, its just as possible that the opinion polls were wrong. But it will always be used as a stick to beat the UK government unless they introduce devo max very quickly. There's a lot of politicking going on at the moment about the impact on England, but in the end I think they'll stick to their promise, I dont really believe that Cameron, Milliband and Clegg want to be tarred with the brush of being such bare faced liars prior to the general election. And if they do renege I fully expect to see poll tax scale riots in Scotland leading up to the general election.

I would have thought protests and action such as the petrol protestors used not so long ago will be the way forward - blocking oil tankers, motorways, that sort of thing - hit the English in the pockets, especially big business - the government will soon find a quick solution.

Or you could just stamp your feet and be even more childish.

You know I'm English and speculating how the Scotch might act if they're fucked off? Instead of rioting?

blueonblue said:

If you could please expand on your hypothesis it would be appreciated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.