Scottish independence

ayrshire_blue said:
You're missing the point. Take Scotland's votes out of every election and the outcome remains the same. Scotland's votes count for feck all.

If Scotland want Labour but England want Tory - it's Tory. If Scotland want Tory (haha) but England want Labour it's Labour.

It's not about having the government each individual wants but a country with around 5 million people is large enough to have a parliament which makes decisions for itself. And before you point to Holyrood already being in existence it has little or no control over how a budget is spent north of the border. London decides that for us, yippee!

The needs of Scottish people are not the same as the needs of people from London or the south east.
Ayrshire, how do you think we feel in the rest of England outside of London?
Maybe if you get independence we could join you in a new country 'Angland' (based on the old anglo saxon provinces )?
Greater Londinium could then split off as a separate kingdom.

i kne albert davy said:
ayrshire_blue said:
You're missing the point. Take Scotland's votes out of every election and the outcome remains the same. Scotland's votes count for feck all.

If Scotland want Labour but England want Tory - it's Tory. If Scotland want Tory (haha) but England want Labour it's Labour.

It's not about having the government each individual wants but a country with around 5 million people is large enough to have a parliament which makes decisions for itself. And before you point to Holyrood already being in existence it has little or no control over how a budget is spent north of the border. London decides that for us, yippee!

The needs of Scottish people are not the same as the needs of people from London or the south east.
Sorry mate that's how democracy go's if the majority of those who bother to vote,go for one particular political party chances are they get elected to govern. I don't particularly like the Tories but they have been elected what should I do declare my house independent of Westminster because my vote didn't count. Been working in Scotland for last 4 weeks,first week in Edinburgh the majority were "proud to be Scots delighted to be united" last 3 weeks in Fife and Perthshire more split with young kids poppin Braveheart in the DVD and voting with the heart, the majority over 40 say would prefer to stay as part of a United Kingdom. If and when the Yes vote lose will you're vote have counted for nothing or will your move to a smaller enclave.
P.S. beautiful country by the way.

I give up, I really do.

On your closing points. Recent polls at 53% no, 47% yes. I don't think the end result will be much closer than that.

If interested, on my local club (Kilmarnock's) forum the independence poll is currently at:

No - 23 (17.04%)
Yes - 104 (77.04%)
Undecided - 8 (5.92%)

Most other football fans forum's are around the same, 70%-80% mark for the yes, including Celtic.

Sevco at 95% no and Ross County are also slightly favouring the No vote the last I looked.

Just an insight to how every day football fans see it north of the border. Those results don't matter of course.

TGR said:
TGR said:
ayrshire_blue said:

Roll on a week on Thursday!

And the majority of English people are also saying it.
I genuinely do hope that you get your wish and have independence.
I honestly think it is better for all concerned.
Without trying to clever or smart if the vote for independence was also given to the English it would
be a landslide 'Yes' vote. So lets just get on with it and do what is needed to be done.
A landslide yes? and who would England become independent from I have no petty hatred of people who live in Scotland a rivalry yes like the one between Lancashire and Yorkshire should we divide the nation into small pieces constantly bickering again, how backward thinking is that.

Len Rum said:
ayrshire_blue said:

Ayrshire, how do you think we feel in the rest of England outside of London?
Maybe if you get independence we could join you in a new country 'Angland' (based on the old anglo saxon provinces )?
Greater Londinium could then split off as a separate kingdom.

Completely agree with this. The north of England get shafted as much as us. This was one of the reasons I was originally in the 'no' camp. But then there's very little we in Scotland can do about that, it's up to your own politicians to grow a spine and demand more. As I've said, the more I thought about it the more I feel in the event of a yes vote the people of northern England could be inspired to fight for more equality.

ayrshire_blue said:
i kne albert davy said:
ayrshire_blue said:

Sorry mate that's how democracy go's if the majority of those who bother to vote,go for one particular political party chances are they get elected to govern. I don't particularly like the Tories but they have been elected what should I do declare my house independent of Westminster because my vote didn't count. Been working in Scotland for last 4 weeks,first week in Edinburgh the majority were "proud to be Scots delighted to be united" last 3 weeks in Fife and Perthshire more split with young kids poppin Braveheart in the DVD and voting with the heart, the majority over 40 say would prefer to stay as part of a United Kingdom. If and when the Yes vote lose will you're vote have counted for nothing or will your move to a smaller enclave.
P.S. beautiful country by the way.

I give up, I really do.

On your closing points. Recent polls at 53% no, 47% yes. I don't think the end result will be much closer than that.

If interested, on my local club (Kilmarnock's) forum the independence poll is currently at:

No - 23 (17.04%)
Yes - 104 (77.04%)
Undecided - 8 (5.92%)

Most other football fans forum's are around the same, 70%-80% mark for the yes, including Celtic.

Sevco at 95% no and Ross County are also slightly favouring the No vote the last I looked.

Just an insight to how every day football fans see it north of the border. Those results don't matter of course.
I know how close it is but Scotlands future won't be decided by young lads at football match's everyone gets a vote. only surprise is Mr Salmond didn't give 4 year olds the vote and then stood at the school gates with a bag of sweets.

TGR - this one's just for you...

The Future of England Survey found that people south of the border are overwhelmingly against Scotland leaving the UK, with 59 per cent saying they would like the Union to stay intact and only 19 per cent favouring separation.

ayrshire_blue said:

The Future of England Survey found that people south of the border are overwhelmingly against Scotland leaving the UK, with 59 per cent saying they would like the Union to stay intact and only 19 per cent favouring separation.
This is very true, but we've got no say in it, so what we think is irrelevant. Those of us in the minority down here are relying on you up there to grant our wishes ;)

Ancient Citizen said:
ayrshire_blue said:

This is very true, but we've got no say in it, so what we think is irrelevant. Those of us in the minority down here are relying on you up there to grant our wishes ;)

Haha, fair enough mate. Sadly I think you'll be dissappointed, as will I.

The yes campaign certainly have the momentum, but it's came a bit late imo. Traditional Labour voters should have been the target voters from the yes campaign from the very start, not the last month or two.

ayrshire_blue said:

That won't impress TGR mate.
He likes his idea of Little England. So much so he'd probably give you Northumberland, Cleveland and Redcar and that part of Cumbria to the west and north of the Lakes.

ayrshire_blue said:
Ancient Citizen said:
ayrshire_blue said:

Haha, fair enough mate. Sadly I think you'll be dissappointed, as will I.

The yes campaign certainly have the momentum, but it's came a bit late imo. Traditional Labour voters should have been the target voters from the yes campaign from the very start, not the last month or two.

There is still hope for the Yes Vote and it will be a pretty close run thing!

I will keep my fingers crossed that it's independence and we can stop subsidising Scotland and regenerate the building industry in the North of England by rebuilding Hadrian's Wall to a Great Wall of China scale.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.