Scum Found Guilty Of Lee Rigby Murder

Blue Til Death said:
Ancient Citizen said:
Blue Til Death said:
You would be surprised I can tell you he still look a handful, they may be young but they are cowards and despite his dallying in that religion, I suspect it was more to cause drama to the authorities than any meaningful affiliation to allah.
Yeah, I don't think it was because he had a 'Death Wish'

I have one of them for those two, a long, slow painful one..!!

I would never have guessed..

Ancient Citizen said:
Skashion said:
Ancient Citizen said:
There is an appeal pending. I believe.
If we cave in to EU meddling, people will be very annoyed.
Appeal court judges have rejected the restrictions of minimum terms? Again, if I'm not mistaken, against general EU directives.
If I am mistaken, feel free to enlighten. I won't stake my viginity on it.
What are you talking about the EU for?
What I'm talking about is that I thought the EU, via the ECHR can overide decisions regarding whole life sentencing.
I may be wrong, though, hence my request that someone enlightens.

It doesn't work like that.

The European Union has a court of justice known as the ECJ which was set up to give effect to community law throughout the European Union. It has no jurisdiction over English criminal cases. Neither the European Union nor the ECJ has any direct legal connection with the ECHR.

The ECHR was set up further to the European Convention on Human Rights. It exists to declare that member states have, or have not, breached the human rights of their citizens, but it has no power to intervene directly in the criminal process of its member states. So the ECHR has no power to order the release of a UK prisoner, for instance. It has the power to declare that the UK is in breach of the human rights of the prisoner by imposing a whole life tariff (if that is its opinion) but it cannot directly interfere with a prison sentence imposed by an English judge.

The ECHR does not exist to apply European law.

The ECHR is the sole court able to determine whether the rights protected by the convention have been breached. However those rights are now part of English domestic law, and have been ever since the Human Rights Act came into force. The Court of Appeal has held that the human rights of prisoners are not infringed by whole life tariffs. The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom has the power to overturn that decision, the ECHR does not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.