Sebastian Coe v Steve Ovett

The same with Dave Bedford, before him.

Yes, I know Bedford was a long-distance runner, rather than middle-distance, but he was brilliant at running metronomic laps, and terrible as a competitor.

I remember the Finns, Lasse Virén and Juha Väätäinen destroying him in the 1971 European Championships, because they kept varying the pace, and he couldn’t live with it.
Lasse Viren, bloody hell you are reeling off the names of the greats in this thread.
Dave Bedford, I seem to recall those twats in that annoying 118 118 adverts were designed to look like him, dodgy tache as well as the hair and running top

Lasse Viren, bloody hell you are reeling off the names of the greats in this thread.
Dave Bedford, I seem to recall those twats in that annoying 118 118 adverts were designed to look like him, dodgy tache as well as the hair and running top
Correct, and Dave took 118 118 to court, and won.

I can't be bothered with Athletics now, never been sporty personally, but certainly remember being really engaged with the rivalry between these two and watching the Moscow Olympics and Friday night race meetings. I preferred Coe at the time, however these days can't abide him.

Steve Ovett was my first sporting hero. Was genuinely gutted when he didn't take the second gold in 1980 and then was unfit in 1984. It was a proper rivalry both breaking world records usually their own or the other guys.
I was the same even more so when Ovett dropped out in LA with breathing problems. Apparently the air pollution was a record high that day as reported weeks later.
I’ve been waiting for British middle distance runners to come through since but now they have. I urge anyone that loved this rivalry to watch Scot Josh Kerr take on cocky Norwegian Ingebrigtsen (not Kare) on Tuesday night. They don’t like each other. Going to be a cracker.

I remember an interview between Coe and Grandstand host, Frank Bough

It finished, and coke loving Frank said "what a wholesome boy"..... Made me want to honk

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.