Sebastian Coe v Steve Ovett

I remember an interview between Coe and Grandstand host, Frank Bough

It finished, and coke loving Frank said "what a wholesome boy"..... Made me want to honk
If you watch the video I posted in the OP at 14 mins 35, the incident is there, but Bough actually says
''ahhh a very attractive young man"

Coe replies (not to Bough but for the documentary) ''you try going down to the athletics club on a Sunday morning after that has been said!'

The greatest rivalry in British athletics?

One for the FOC's. Which camp were you in?
Coe was my favourite and I (badly) tried to emulate him whilst trying to get my AAA badge at school running around the track four times for the 1500 meters.
Sadly he ruined his reputation in my eyes when becoming a Tory MP and I disowned him - but what a runner!

Ovett all the way in our house. We all thought Coe was a smug twat, while Ovett looked like a geography teacher running on his lunch break.

The greatest rivalry in British athletics?

One for the FOC's. Which camp were you in?
Coe was my favourite and I (badly) tried to emulate him whilst trying to get my AAA badge at school running around the track four times for the 1500 meters.
Sadly he ruined his reputation in my eyes when becoming a Tory MP and I disowned him - but what a runner!

Ovett any day of any week! Can't stand that bastard Coe. And now he's pokin' his bloody nose into the attempt to screw the taxpayer for the new Rag build!

I’ve always loved athletics, right from the time the Scots, Ian Stewart and Ian McCafferty, outsprinted the great Kip Keino in the 5 000 metres final at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh.

I too, think that the late '70s/early '80s were a golden age for British middle-distance running. They were a remarkable few years.
I've watched that back a few times and McCafferty seemed to ease right down with about 30 metres to go when he was still in with a chance of catching Stewart. He seemed happy for a Scottish 1-2 when he could have gone for gold. Stewart was pure Brummie but obviously qualified for Scotland.

The 1972 Olympic 5000 metres is reckoned to be one of the best races of all time. Stewart, McCafferty and Bedford all ran for GB.

I've watched that back a few times and McCafferty seemed to ease right down with about 30 metres to go when he was still in with a chance of catching Stewart. He seemed happy for a Scottish 1-2 when he could have gone for gold. Stewart was pure Brummie but obviously qualified for Scotland.

The 1972 Olympic 5000 metres is reckoned to be one of the best races of all time. Stewart, McCafferty and Bedford all ran for GB.
That was the year Virén did his first 5k/10k double, despite falling in the 10 000 metres final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.