Sebastian Coe v Steve Ovett

Brendan Fosters big problem at world level was that he was one-paced, no finish.
The same with Dave Bedford, before him.

Yes, I know Bedford was a long-distance runner, rather than middle-distance, but he was brilliant at running metronomic laps, and terrible as a competitor.

I remember the Finns, Lasse Virén and Juha Väätäinen destroying him in the 1971 European Championships, because they kept varying the pace, and he couldn’t live with it.

Steve Ovett was my first sporting hero. Was genuinely gutted when he didn't take the second gold in 1980 and then was unfit in 1984. It was a proper rivalry both breaking world records usually their own or the other guys.

The one thing that struck me watching that video in the OP was how much I watched athletics back then. Or not so much athletics but middle distance running. Most likely due to the 800 and 1500 being my favourite at school (not that I pulled up any trees but I just loved running them - was never a sprinter, couldn't sprint to save my life but long distance I just could run and run)

I guess it's as we only had 3 TV channels!
I recall watching the 3 races in 9 days in Oslo and Zurich when they each broke a world record for the 1500.

They always picked a pace setter who would drop off at the start of the 4th and final lap, usually Jim Walker from New Zealand who was at the end of his career.
It wasn't just the Olympics we watched but these one off events in Oslo etc on a Friday night or whenever they were held. Great times.
I’ve always loved athletics, right from the time the Scots, Ian Stewart and Ian McCafferty, outsprinted the great Kip Keino in the 5 000 metres final at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh.

I too, think that the late '70s/early '80s were a golden age for British middle-distance running. They were a remarkable few years.

I preferred Ovett but once had an interesting conversation with a middle distance runner who ran for Scotland a few years back who stridently asserted that Coe was the far better athlete.
He's Scottish probably pissed, if you have 2 guys so closely matched its hard to sell one was far better.

The greatest rivalry in British athletics?

One for the FOC's. Which camp were you in?
Coe was my favourite and I (badly) tried to emulate him whilst trying to get my AAA badge at school running around the track four times for the 1500 meters.
Sadly he ruined his reputation in my eyes when becoming a Tory MP and I disowned him - but what a runner!

Same as you, I thought Coe was a really stylish runner and that Ovett was a bit arsey. But then I started to listen to them and view them as people and realised I'd probably backed the wrong horse.

Same as you, I thought Coe was a really stylish runner and that Ovett was a bit arsey. But then I started to listen to them and view them as people and realised I'd probably backed the wrong horse.
It was like listening to The Specials / Fun Boy Three and then finding out Terry Hall was a rag (the coventry twat)/

I’ve always loved athletics, right from the time the Scots, Ian Stewart and Ian McCafferty, outsprinted the great Kip Keino in the 5 000 metres final at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh.

I too, think that the late '70s/early '80s were a golden age for British middle-distance running. They were a remarkable few years.
Kip Keino! Wow that's a name I'd forgotten about.
There was a Scottish sprinter, 100 meters. Alan Pascoe???
You'd see events on Friday or Saturday night at Gateshead or Crystal Palace and the venues were packed with millions watching on the box. They were all amateurs though suspect the top stars ''earned'' a little via sponsorship / endorsements

Kip Keino! Wow that's a name I'd forgotten about.
There was a Scottish sprinter, 100 meters. Alan Pascoe???
You'd see events on Friday or Saturday night at Gateshead or Crystal Palace and the venues were packed with millions watching on the box. They were all amateurs though suspect the top stars ''earned'' a little via sponsorship / endorsements
That was Alan Wells.

Alan Pascoe (Cornish surname, by the way) was a 400m hurdler. Early-mid '70s.

Yep, I remember the Friday evening meets. And I’m sure you’re right about the sponsorship/endorsements.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.