Seko Fofana

today 3 million is very very little money , the worst talent today = 6 mil , talent as fofana should = 10 million at least but we have foolish man named txiki

I'm sure the Academy Director has more input into who should be sold than Txiki...

I find it quite surreal that people are acting like Fofana had shown signs of making at City. He's a good young player, but he's definitely not reached the level yet that many thought he would. I think his peak is maybe someone like Sissoko at Newcastle, and even that would be a squad player for us. Technically he comes up short. He can't pass and move anywhere near the level required to fit into Pep's plans and there about 10 younger midfielders ahead of him from the u16s to the EDS that are better at that than him so it makes sense to earn 3/4m from him and get a good buyback clause considering he has one year left on his contract.

Agree,lets hope there is a good buy back or sell on but might be difficult for sell on with one year left.Good business.

Wonder how much it costs to run our academy each year?

Agree,lets hope there is a good buy back or sell on but might be difficult for sell on with one year left.Good business.

Wonder how much it costs to run our academy each year?
I think the 'recommended' costs to attain Cat 1 level is around £2.3 million a year but given the size of ours with staffing levels in all categories being way above the minimum levels and the St. Bedes tie in you can probably double that with ease. Mind you it also includes all of the 1st training, accommodation, mini Ehtihad etc.

The recommended minimum spend is why so many have dropped their academies entirely.

I can't see any confirmation of this.

If he goes, good luck to him. There is so much talent fighting for his position that it's unlikely he would be one who gets the first team job, he probably doesn't have the technique. That however, is speculation. The kid has done everything right to get at least a chance to show the City management what he can do, & will probably leave the club without ever getting that chance, after years of trying, & basically succeeding, in improving himself into a potential decent footballer, when he comes back, ready to show us what he can do, he is sold instead. We are making a decision on a player, possibly the correct decision, after watching him play elsewhere for most of 2 years, not on watching him play next to Garcias or Bryan or Byrne etc & actually seeing for ourselves if he copes better or worse than they do in a game situation on the day. We are assuming, he can't. Because we have no choice basically.

For what it's worth, when the rags hammered us at the swamp last season (season before ?), I thought he was one of the players who stood up, in spite of barely playing at all in that team & just being chucked in. But if another club has already decided he has a future with them, & will pay money to back up their judgement, how can we old him back at this age, if we're not convinced he'll make it here ? We would have to put his career on hold, whilst we find out, about our own player. We effectively did the same with Rony Lopes. Goes away, does great, comes back ready to show us, sold without us seeing him play.

That imo, is mismanagement & I hope this is the last time we are put in this position.

I think this is a great result for the Academy.

The aim is to transform school age players in to professionals and the reality is some will not make it at any level and those that do make it we obviously want them to get as far up the leagues as possible and if we can get fees for the better ones then great.

We have loaned out a few and subsequently sold them on over recent years and I don’t see that we have got anything wrong so the criticism is unwarranted. Gudietti, Rekik, Lopes, Huws are all making decent careers but none are ripping up trees. Fofana will no doubt follow suit and I wish him well but being realistic he is nowhere near our first team level and giving him an extension and keeping him another year or two would only block the opportunities of some of the younger lads coming through, the likes of the Garcias, Bryne, Celina and Barker are at an age where they have to step up, not to mention Denayer who is still yet to make his debut. We need to concentrate the opportunity on the most able and that means we have to let the likes of Fofana go, getting a couple of £m in the process is fantastic news.

I find it quite surreal that people are acting like Fofana had shown signs of making at City. He's a good young player, but he's definitely not reached the level yet that many thought he would. I think his peak is maybe someone like Sissoko at Newcastle, and even that would be a squad player for us. Technically he comes up short. He can't pass and move anywhere near the level required to fit into Pep's plans and there about 10 younger midfielders ahead of him from the u16s to the EDS that are better at that than him so it makes sense to earn 3/4m from him and get a good buyback clause considering he has one year left on his contract.
Although I rather agree he hasn't shown he's ready for the 1st team yet and there may be some youngsters ahead of him to make it at City, I wouldn't hurry to sell him. Least have him at pre-season and see. Than either sell or extend the contract and sort a proper loan.

Last edited:
Although I rather agree he hasn't shown he's ready for the 1st team yet and there may be some youngsters ahead of him to make it at City, I wouldn't hurry to sell him. Least have him at pre-season and see. Than either sell or extend the contract and sort a proper loan.

What's the point, we have loads of players coming through and hoarding them is not going to do any of them any good. There is only so many oportunities and we are awash with midfielders in the accademy. Take the money now and move on, if we get a sell on clause that is a bonus.

I think this is a great result for the Academy.

The aim is to transform school age players in to professionals and the reality is some will not make it at any level and those that do make it we obviously want them to get as far up the leagues as possible and if we can get fees for the better ones then great.

We have loaned out a few and subsequently sold them on over recent years and I don’t see that we have got anything wrong so the criticism is unwarranted. Gudietti, Rekik, Lopes, Huws are all making decent careers but none are ripping up trees. Fofana will no doubt follow suit and I wish him well but being realistic he is nowhere near our first team level and giving him an extension and keeping him another year or two would only block the opportunities of some of the younger lads coming through, the likes of the Garcias, Bryne, Celina and Barker are at an age where they have to step up, not to mention Denayer who is still yet to make his debut. We need to concentrate the opportunity on the most able and that means we have to let the likes of Fofana go, getting a couple of £m in the process is fantastic news.

What's the point, we have loads of players coming through and hoarding them is not going to do any of them any good. There is only so many oportunities and we are awash with midfielders in the accademy. Take the money now and move on, if we get a sell on clause that is a bonus.
All correct, having a pre-season with us isn't going to tell the club anymore than they already know.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.