Sergio Aguero - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season:

Aguero - 21 goals from 88 shots in 1,788 minutes
Salah - 22 goals from 103 shots in 2,036 minutes
Kane - 23 goals from 150 shots in 2,288 minutes

Still the best around and quite clearly still the number 1 striker at City, genuinely bewildering that a minority can't see it.

How has he proven me wrong?

I've said all season he should be scoring more, and he's started scoring more. He's not proven me wrong at all, he's proven people like me who said he was under delivering right.

Let's get things straight, only a couple of his goals this calendar year have been spectacular, the other 11 or 12 are simple goals he's scoring now that he should have been scoring before, but for whatever reason was only getting about a third of them in the net. You can pretend that's not the case and he's always been performing at his best, or you can be thankful he's putting them away now and hope he keeps putting them away from here on in.

Yet the stats simply don't back up what you're saying. He's missed one more big chance than the posterboy Jesus yet played far more minutes.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

And as my other post a few minutes ago shows he is far more deadly than his immediate rivals in the scoring charts

Yet the stats simply don't back up what you're saying. He's missed one more big chance than the posterboy Jesus yet played far more minutes.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

And as my other post a few minutes ago shows he is far more deadly than his immediate rivals in the scoring charts

Opta define a big chance as 1v1s or shots from very close range. No, Aguero didn't miss those, that doesn't mean he was playing well or putting away chances he'd normally score. If you're going to try to use stats to make an argument, find stats that actually back up your argument.

For example you might want to look at something like this -

https://understat.com/player/619

Where we can see that Aguero's actual goals vs. expected goals in his period of bad form - or even simply see that he only scored 1 non-penalty goal in 8 league matches from October to Christmas Eve - now do you really believe he didn't have any chances to score in those 8 games, all of which we won? Well we know that's not true because his expected non-penalty goals for those games was 3.07 - and bear in mind that's xG for a normal player, elite strikers like Aguero, Kane etc always operate better than xG for the very reason that they are better than most.

He did have a long period of poor form, we all knew that because we could see it, we could see he wasn't quite right, these pages and other threads were filled with discussion about what the cause could be, and how to solve it. Now he's back in form and making up for lost time, which is great.

Also, "poster boy Jesus"? Grow up.

Last edited:
Opta define a big chance as 1v1s or shots from very close range. No, Aguero didn't miss those, that doesn't mean he was playing well or putting away chances he'd normally score. If you're going to try to use stats to make an argument, understand them first, and then find stats that are actually applicable.

Like the fact he scores at almost twice the rate of Harry Kane you mean? Seems I've touched a nerve though so if you can't be civil I'm not arsed haha

Like the fact he scores at almost twice the rate of Harry Kane you mean? Seems I've touched a nerve though so if you can't be civil I'm not arsed haha

I think if you look at my reply again you'll see I expanded on that and am perfectly civil, but regardless, Aguero is scoring at 85 mins per goal (best in the league), Kane at 97.

I don't know how good your maths is, but 97 isn't nearly double 85.

And you've not touched a nerve because you're not actually arguing anything. Aguero misses few golden chances than Kane - no problem believing that, although of course if you took their game time into consideration Kane would come out on top (Kane missing a big chance every 159 minutes, Aguero every 148) - but my point is simple - that stat means sod all. Form isn't defined by how many open goals you miss, which shouldn't need explaining but apparently it does.

Honestly it amazes me the lengths people will go to in trying to pretend Aguero's not been through a patch of poor form. He's out of it, enjoy that!

Last edited:
I don't how good your maths is, but 150 is close to double 88. See, I can attempt to be a condescending git too, I usually don't though unless forced to in kind.

I don't how good your maths is, but 150 is close to double 88. See, I can attempt to be a condescending git too, I usually don't though unless forced to in kind.

And if Kane was scoring every 150 minutes that might be relevant, but as he's actually scoring every 97 minutes, it's not...

And if Kane was scoring every 150 minutes that might be relevant, but as he's actually scoring every 97 minutes, it's not...
LOL that has to be a fucking windup or you're being deliberately obtuse
I don't mean to butt in like this but one of you (dom) is talking about minutes per goal (85 vs 97) and one of you (pepinyourstep) is talking about shots taken given goals scored (88 vs 150). Different stats. Just saying as it appears there's a mixup for at least one of you..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.