Sergio Aguero - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unimpressive showings in away CL games?

17/18 - he played in 4 and scored in all 4 including the beauty for the record against Napoli
18/19 - he played in 4 and scored in 3 with the exception being against Spurs and the penalty miss

In the league and excluding Anfield and his jink there he has started just 5 away games against big 6

17/18 - Arsenal away in the 3-0 win. No goals but he was brilliant and particularly his involvement in the Sane goal of the season.

18/19 - Arsenal, Spurs and United all 3 wins. Can't remember how good or bad he was against Arsenal and Spurs. Against United he was brilliant - hit the post with great long shot after a sweeping move and also moved all the defenders away for the Sane goal.

19/20 - Spurs.. yep he could/should have scored... yep he should have taken the penalty

Each to their own I suppose. I hope he starts in Madrid because you never know what he can magic up out of nothing. Might need it because they've gone really defensively sound. Just 4 let in from about the last 14 league games. On the other hand if Pep doesn't start him so be it.

So, from 10 starts against good teams away from home since the start of 17/18, 8 in the league and 2 in the CL, Sergio has scored 1 goal. 1 in 10. Why pretend that's good and normal for a world class striker? Even Gundy has a better record, and even Stones has scored 1 goal, IIRC. Let's hope his record in big games away from home is just a statistical quirk. 10 games are not a big sample even though they are over 30 months.

The only thing I really care about is a good result in Madrid. Whether it will come with or without Sergio is secondary to me. It's a problem for Pep. I will be very happy if Sergio bangs goals in all CL games away from home until the final and including the final, and wins Ballon d'Or for it. Or if another City player does the same. The important thing is we win.

Last edited:
So, from 10 starts against good teams away from home since the start of 17/18, 8 in the league and 2 in the CL, Sergio has scored 1 goal. 1 in 10. Why pretend that's good and normal for a world class striker? Even Gundy has a better record, and even Stones has scored 1 goal, IIRC. Let's hope his record in big games away from home is just a statistical quirk. 10 games are not a big sample even though they are over 30 months.

The only thing I really care about is a good result in Madrid. Whether it will come with or without Sergio is secondary to me. It's a problem for Pep. I will be very happy if Sergio bangs goals in all CL games away from home until the final and including the final, and wins Ballon d'Or for it. Or if another City player does the same. The important thing is we win.

Keep the Champions League out of it because he has scored in 7 out of his last 8 away starts with Spurs last year the exception.

So we are talking 8 specific league games where he has failed to score against Big 6 teams - 3 Liverpool and 5 the rest. Did he play particularly well in some of those games? 100% yes.

Randomness springs to mind. Correlation does not imply causation. Is it normal? Well, it is not unusual. Salah has scored most league goals since 17/18 yet his all-time record against Big 6 away from from home is 2 from 13.

Keep the Champions League out of it because he has scored in 7 out of his last 8 away starts with Spurs last year the exception.

So we are talking 8 specific league games where he has failed to score against Big 6 teams - 3 Liverpool and 5 the rest. Did he play particularly well in some of those games? 100% yes.

Randomness springs to mind. Correlation does not imply causation. Is it normal? Well, it is not unusual. Salah has scored most league goals since 17/18 yet his all-time record against Big 6 away from from home is 2 from 13.

I'm talking about games against good sides, so Napoli and Spurs wrt CL, with Napoli still a group-stage game, not a knock out one. Spurs away was the most important game of them all, and it wasn't good, not only because of the missed penalty, but the overall performance. He was brilliant in the 2nd leg though, top class performance.

Did he play 'particularly well' in those 8 league games without a goal? Depends what you understand under 'particularly well'. He definitely didn't play very well at Anfield and he definitely didn't play well at Spurs away. He didn't have a brilliant performance in those games, some good yes, world class no, unless world class is just good.

My last post here, unless Sergio plays brilliantly in Madrid, then I shall come here to praise him. Brilliant or not in the CL this season, he is already one of the greatest PL strikers of all time and nothing can take that away from him. Fabulous player and absolute legend.

Last edited:
I'm talking about games against good sides, so Napoli and Spurs wrt CL, with Napoli still a group-stage game, not a knock out one. Spurs away was the most important game of all them, and it wasn't good, not only because of the missed penalty, but the overall performance. He was brilliant in the 2nd leg though.

Did he play 'particularly well' in those 8 league games without a goal? Depends what you understand under 'particularly well'. He definitely didn't play very well at Anfield and he definitely didn't play well at Spurs away. He didn't have a brilliant performance in those games, some good yes, world class no, unless world class is just good.

My last post here, unless Sergio plays brilliantly in Madrid, then I shall come here to praise him.

I said particularly well in some games.

Bye.

Thanks for this post, mate.

I think it's undeniable that this season Sergio has been scoring against the poor/average teams, unlike last season where he contributed 35% of his goals against top 6 teams, 8 against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U, half of them with exceptional finishes.

This season Sergio has scored 80 % of his goals against teams placed 13th-20th in the table. It's important to score against such teams but Sergio is most famous for his big games goals and performances and this season he isn't at the same level.

If Sterling is injured Sergio is likely to start against Real away. We need a big performance there.

That said, I struggle to remember the last time Sergio had a great performance against a top team at their ground. Can you refresh my memory? I'm worried he has been performing against top teams only at the Etihad the last 2 years. Maybe I'm wrong and you can remind me of a great game he had away from home against a top team, not Sheff U (where the goal was mostly Kevin anyway).
Just not a player for the big occasion, eh?

Last edited:
In my book, Pep's best decision this season was to bench Aguero at Man U where we had our best away performance all season and could have easily scored 5.

So you’re saying a game without Aguero, when we should have scored more, is proof of Aguero’s shortcomings?

Hahahaha. Brilliant!

Last edited:
I'm talking about games against good sides, so Napoli and Spurs wrt CL, with Napoli still a group-stage game, not a knock out one. Spurs away was the most important game of them all, and it wasn't good, not only because of the missed penalty, but the overall performance. He was brilliant in the 2nd leg though, top class performance.

My last post here, unless Sergio plays brilliantly in Madrid, then I shall come here to praise him. Brilliant or not in the CL this season, he is already one of the greatest PL strikers of all time and nothing can take that away from him. Fabulous player and absolute legend.
I have never known such a convoluted arguement against the best player we have ever had( and dave)
I gave you his stats for jan,one game he won us the game just for the defence to bugger off with a couple of mins left,that is why your stat of winning/losing games because of him is bollocks

I have never known such a convoluted arguement against the best player we have ever had( and dave)
I gave you his stats for jan,one game he won us the game just for the defence to bugger off with a couple of mins left,that is why your stat of winning/losing games because of him is bollocks
Nah,Alexmcity raised some very good points Kaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.