Sergio Gomez | Joins City on a four year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that “home grown talent “ have a real struggle to make it at City with Pep as manager. Apart from Phil Foden it’s not exactly been a conveyer belt of continuous Academy talent forcing themselves into the first team.
Nothing annoys me more than bringing a “kid” on for about 2 minutes before the end of a match. Progression seems to be a few minutes in the early rounds of the Cup competitions - loan deal - and bye bye.
I would love our Academy players to be given more opportunities but I can’t see Pep changing his stance. How many of our current players out on loan can you see being recalled??
Always find it a bit embarrassing the growing number of players who are described as “ex-Manchester City” and never played a first team match for us.
I am proud to see players from our Academy forge careers in football at any level for themselves. I follow the youngsters careers just as much as the seniors but let's be realistic. There are millions of young footballers all over the the world seeking a place in a football academy or team, there are only a small number of elite clubs, it is a huge achievement for a youngster to make our academy and it is only a few out of X number of the millions who make the step from youth teams to a regular place on a PL champion team. It may annoy you that a "kid" is brought on for 2 minutes, but it's his career and those 2 minutes may be the highlight of his football life or the first step to stardom or more likely somewhere in between. PL winning players are as rare as a needle in a haystack, your "conveyer belt" needs to run for a long time to spot the needle.

Do you think Aaron Mooy was embarrassed being moved from the Australian league to getting a chance to play in the PL? Or Harrison who still is and is being pursued by other PL teams?

We produce some very fine footballers who may never be good enough to play for a team at the top of the PL, but you could say the same for dozens of experienced players already in PL first teams. There will be others we buy in as prospects from around the world and give a chance to in a European league. Some will make it, some won't and very occasionally one will be good enough for our first team, but they're the needle in the haystack.

I saw somewhere that only 1 in 10,000 kids who are ever in an academy become professionals - not PL, just a professional. If that stat is true, it's damning on the academy system as a whole, which hoovers up so many kids at such a young age to discard them later on. Any kid who makes it deserves what they've earned, but of that 1 in 10,000, what would be the ratio for making it to a City or Liverpool or even a rags? 1 in 100,000? 1 in 1,000,000?

I'd love to see 3 or 4 local lads playing in our first team every week,as would every fan of every club, but it's not realistic anymore. We don't have the restrictions on foreign players anymore and I can remember the complaints from rags at the time that Irish shouldn't be considered 'foreign'. Can't recall when that rule went, but just found an article that lists the 13 non-British or Irish players who played in the opening weekend of the PL in 1992. We had one - Vonk.
Top class post. Sorry I hadn't read it before posting my effort in a similar vein.

Wasn’t it suggested last night he’s in Manchester to complete today? I’d of thought we’d of seen images of him if true?
I don't think many of the papers would be rushing for pictures of Sergio Gomez to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.