Sergio Ramos

Not sure where this age thing comes from but have you seen modern day centre backs? People wrote John Terry off 3 years ago and how good was he last season?? Sylvain Distin is another one who has been immense and is 37 for god's sake. Ramos has just turned 29, same as Vinnie. Let's say he makes it to John Terry's age as good as Terry is now, which is 34 years old, that's 5 seasons away. 5 years is absolutely ages. These players are so well conditioned nowadays that this age concept is bullshit - you're telling me Lampard and Gerrard couldn't still be doing it in the Prem? They're centre mids too, never mind the ripe-friendly centre back.

That's not an attack on you fella, just this ageism thing really grinds me. And no, I'm not an old sod sticking up for the older players, I'm 23.

Fair enough, and I agree he could have a few (even his best) years in him but it just seems at odds with the emphasis on youth that seems to be consistent with our other (alleged) targets. I suppose it's about a balance of youth and experience.

Fair enough, and I agree he could have a few (even his best) years in him but it just seems at odds with the emphasis on youth that seems to be consistent with our other (alleged) targets. I suppose it's about a balance of youth and experience.
You're right, it's about a mix. That post by me was more an overpour of attitudes towards footballer's age in general. Like CrossanDeBall said on the last page, 5 years with player turnover is a long time nowadays, look at the premier league club's starting elevens in 2010 for instance.

Same as Otamendi rumours for me. Only if we sent Denayer on loan (again) or know by now Demichelis won't be needed (remember he was our best CB last year), we should get an experienced CB in. But priorities are not directly in that area and getting a CB like that in would probably not feel good to Denayer. Despite reckognizing the fact competition is needed. And somehow I would like City to keep Demichelis at the club after his career as I think he will be very usefull in any managerial set-up.
So far these rumours are no more than papers trying to fill up until the 1st of July. There's too much City-Chelsea-United interested in the same kind of players to take it serious.

He really isn't. At best he's on the same level as Kompany
I doubt we'd be having a discussion about whether Mangala or Demichelis was our best defender if that was the case.

Kompany has been off form for a year and a half and is the same age. A year ago Ramos was winning the Champions League with an absolutely crucial goal in the final. People need to countenance the idea that the old Kompany isn't coming back especially if he continues to favour athleticism and physicality over intelligence in his defending.

I can't think of a better CB in world football in my opinion, regardless of his age. As Helmet Cole pointed out, players can play well into their 30's at the highest level, and I can see Ramos being world class for at least the next 4 years.

I doubt we'd be having a discussion about whether Mangala or Demichelis was our best defender if that was the case.

Kompany has been off form for a year and a half and is the same age. A year ago Ramos was winning the Champions League with an absolutely crucial goal in the final. People need to countenance the idea that the old Kompany isn't coming back especially if he continues to favour athleticism and physicality over intelligence in his defending.

Fuck me he's had one bad season which has also happened to Ramos as well. How bout we give him next season before writing him off huh?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.