Shamima Begum

My definition of society is the rules and conventions by which we operate.

It's hugely complicated and ultimately subjective (which I believe I provided for in my post) and I'll try not to sound too pompous, but in my view a civilised society is one that balances the rights of the innocent and the guilty in a way that is proportionate, and one that also recognise that, to some extent, we can all fall into both categories and that some people are capable of change - and the younger they are, the more capable they are of so doing.

More specifically to the point in hand, I believe that closing the door on someone who has faltered in their youth (and I would count up to 21 in this regard (although on a downward sliding scale from the age of 18 onwards, in particular)) is not what I would consider civilised, even if they have committed terrible acts before they are legally adults. I felt the same way about Venables and Thompson - one of whom appears to have rehabilitated himself, the discernibly other less so.

My view about people lacking compassion was probably not expressed in a way that was nuanced enough, and Begum possibly descends into a grey area (which I should have provided for in my post) but I do believe that anyone who wholly fails to concur with the point I make about drawing a distinction between a 16 year old and (say) a 22 year old palpably lacks sufficient compassion imo, and if they do agree there is a distinction to be drawn, then I fail to see how my view on Begum is inconsistent with that.

I accept the last part of your post may, to some extent, render many people's views replete with inconsistency, myself included, and all I can do is try and find a position that falls most squarely within my view on the subject in order not to be hypocritical around it, through the prism of Begum.

I feel that someone who makes a mistake (even to the extent of Begum) from the ages of fifteen to eighteen (when her principal 'offending' appears to have occurred) should be, at some point, afforded the opportunity to contribute to society again, once they've been punished for that offending, and for her, in my view (as previously posted) that should be when she's in her forties, assuming she's sufficiently demonstrated genuine remorse and regret for her actions.

I hope that deals with you enquiry sufficiently.

I genuinely thank you for your reply and we just disagree on the age range in fairness. My only concern was I took your post to mean anyone who doesn't agree with your view on this woman means they must lack compassion and humanity.

Currently the general meaning of a civilised society has been forged not by society as a whole or even by a majority. It has been formed by politicians and other smaller groups.

Just because we currently follow certain criteria developed by others it doesn't make it automatically civilised. It's just the opinion of those who structured it and those that agree with it.

At its base form being civil is being nice to each other. Anyone who takes a chance with disregard for others lives is not being very civil in my book.

I expect her eventually to come back. Serve a short sentence and then we'll have to keep our fingers crossed. Let's hope society doesn't suffer.

that should be when she's in her forties, assuming she's sufficiently demonstrated genuine remorse and regret for her actions.

I hope that deals with you enquiry sufficiently.

I agree with that bud it all seems like common sense doesn't it? Nevertheless I would like a mechanism to be put in place where she is tried in the vicinity of her crimes (if she has committed any) because getting evidence and making that evidence stick might very well be a lot harder for a UK court to get.

Your words:

"Had she been there at 15, later changed her mind, tried to flee or you know, shown remorse in her interview with Sky News at 19, then I would be totally for punishment but rehabilitation for her"

Okay so my point was/is that if she wasn’t holding a gun, attending to suicide vests and being totally devoid of any regret or remorse, as an adult, I may feel differently.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...oners-trial-syria-sdf-terrorism-a9321921.html

Looks like this will be the way forward from now on.

Begum's not expected to be included in the first group to be tried but I think it's a matter of time before she's put on trial herself.

I think the demands of justice are that she is accountable to the people who suffered most at her hands first before she's then later tried for the separate but wholly related crimes she may have committed under either British or Bangladeshi law.

Begum isn’t looking too downhearted in interviews published today. The new niqab-less image complete with diamanté nose piercing is something of a change in direction from her ISIS caliphate days..

She’s posted in front of a Union Jack cushion and has tried to westernise her appearance.

The cushion was upside down but that’s her being thick I think more than anything.

She’s lost weight it seems.

Begum isn’t looking too downhearted in interviews published today. The new niqab-less image complete with diamanté nose piercing is something of a change in direction from her ISIS caliphate days..

See, I've been saying all along that people can change...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.