Shane McGowan RIP (P8)

In fact , a bit like Rod Stewart being Scottish, The Pogues links to Ireland are tentative at best.
I think you're confusing The Pogues and Shane McGowan.
Several of the band were born in Ireland.
Other members had Irish parents who had emigrated to England including Shane's parents who were from Dublin and Tipperary.

I think you're confusing The Pogues and Shane McGowan.
Several of the band were born in Ireland.
Other members had Irish parents who had emigrated to England including Shane's parents who were from Dublin and Tipperary.
Spider was American
James was from Worsley and another band member was from Manchester too.

The point I made that he was fairly well to do and from London.
I picked this up from Louis Theroux’s autobiography who went to the same school as him

I remember having tickets for them in Edinburgh when Shane went awol
Was replaced by Strummer so wasn't too shabby a gig
Still sad news

Spider was American
James was from Worsley and another band member was from Manchester too.

The point I made that he was fairly well to do and from London.
I picked this up from Louis Theroux’s autobiography who went to the same school as him
Yep, Westminster school. I know Theroux was at school with Adam Buxton, who's also from a pretty posh background.

Yep, Westminster school. I know Theroux was at school with Adam Buxton, who's also from a pretty posh background.
As was Joe Strummer.
Punk - seen as a working class movement, The Pistols apart, was fairly middle class kids playing rebellion.
Billy Idol and Tony James in Generation X too (Billy's dad moved the family to Long Island, New York when he was around 4 - went with a southern accent and came back aged 9 with a Yank accent!)
Lots of them being art school students.....

I remember having a disagreement with a lad at work who insisted MacGowan was Irish born and I insisted he was a cockney. The lad wouldn't have it, " listen to him singing in an Irish accent" he claimed....

Great poet .

Not a lot of people are aware he went to private school in Westminster and was born well a truly into upper middle class.
In fact , a bit like Rod Stewart being Scottish, The Pogues links to Ireland are tentative at best.
Ps never forgive the Irish for nicking the moral rights to Dirty Old Town

Ps never forgive the Irish for nicking the moral rights to Dirty Old Town
Its funny how you associate songs with places or countries .
Fields of Athenry is one.
I always though those songs by Eric Bogle were either Irish or Scottish until I started listening to the words.

Incredible the amount of abuse the human body can take, I wish him well but have little sympathy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.