Shay Given to Arsenal (merged)

Re: we've agreed to let Shay Given join Arsenal

Irishmacca is blinded by the fact he's from the same country as Given. It's pointless trying to get anything across to him he won't accept any view other than "Given is Irish so he's godlike"

adamgregory said:
The way I see it is;

is Shay contracted for the next few years...yes
do we need to sell him... no
can we stick him on the bench as cover for Hart to avoid the cock up that lost us 4th place last season...YES.

end of discussion.

Can we tie him up to prevent him from walking off? No.

Therefore, not end of discussion.

AntonDonJuan said:
Irishmacca is blinded by the fact he's from the same country as Given. It's pointless trying to get anything across to him he won't accept any view other than "Given is Irish so he's godlike"

Exactly. I doubt he even supports us to be honest. Just seems more like a casual follow of anyone that has one of the emerald isles players.

I wish Shay luck at Arsenal but I am delighted Joe is number one. I just couldnt take another season of watching super glued to his goal line.

Re: Shay Given to Arsenal

At Given's age, we cannot blame him for wanting to be number 1 keeper in another club.

He did great for us so far, and it will be understandable if he does move from us.

best shot stopper in the business, however never comes off his line and does not command his box. last year i cringed every time the ball came in the box coz shay was nowhere. good luck if he is going.

LongsightM13 said:
If Given is half the goalkeeper and, indeed, half the man you (and for the record. I) think he is, then he should prove it by staying and fighting for his place.
If he spits the dummy and insists on leaving after being dropped for one game, when he is still on the comeback trail from a serious injury, then I'll be disappointed with the man. I thought he was made of better stuff than that

Completely agree mate, I've always rated Shay Given not just as a player but as a professional as well. However, if he throws his toys out of the pram and demands a move (be it loan or permanent) I'm afraid I see it as akin to Robinho running off to Santos when the going got tough.

Joe Hart has started the first game ahead of him, 1 game, anything can happen over the course of a season, so it'd be nice if Given sticks around and does his utmost to reclaim the starting spot. If at the end of the season he's not had as much playing time as he would like and decides to reconsider his position then I guess that would be fair enough. But don't walk out now Shay, you're better than that...

It looks like the club want to send him out on loan to Celtic, Fulham or similar with a 24hr cast Iron recall if Hart gets injured.

Its actually not a bad option IMO. They pay his wages and we get him back if we need him. The only downside is we would have to leave a place allocated in the 25 man list for him presumably.

I still think his attitude is poor if he does demand a move, he can just play in all the Europa, Carling and FA cup fixtures. If we do as well as we would expect he could still end up playing 30 odd games this season maybe more if we go all the way in some of the competitions and or covering potential injuries or suspensions for Hart.

Whats his problem, ? With what we pay is it too much to expect players to be professional and fight for their place ?

Letting him go to Arsenal is not an option unless he puts in a written transfer request like he did at Newcastle and really starts kicking off and causing trouble.

Even then Arsenal would have to pay his market value - £8 million which is what we paid for him + all his wages.

alera said:
It looks like the club want to send him out on loan to Celtic, Fulham or similar with a 24hr cast Iron recall if Hart gets injured.

Its actually not a bad option IMO. They pay his wages and we get him back if we need him. The only downside is we would have to leave a place allocated in the 25 man list for him presumably.

I still think his attitude is poor if he does demand a move, he can just play in all the Europa, Carling and FA cup fixtures. If we do as well as we would expect he could still end up playing 30 odd games this season maybe more if we go all the way in some of the competitions and or covering potential injuries or suspensions for Hart.

Whats his problem, ? With what we pay is it too much to expect players to be professional and fight for their place ?

Letting him go to Arsenal is not an option unless he puts in a written transfer request like he did at Newcastle and really starts kicking off and causing trouble.

Even then Arsenal would have to pay his market value - £8 million which is what we paid for him + all his wages.
I think I read somewhere that Keepers could be brought in outside the 25 man roster.

I will be VERY disappointed if Shay goes to Arsenal - Almunia is a massively weak link for them.

Shay would be a big improvement over Almunia for Arsenal, and I do not want us to strengthen any of our immediate rivals.
We shold try very hard to keep him - a reserve goalkeeper that is not up to Top 4 level can cost you dearly - examples are Foster at the scum last year, Hilario / Hilarious at Chelsea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.