Sheffield United (H) - Post-Match Thread

First half poor but we plowed on,
VAR is still shite

VAR is what is is. It's the rules that are shite.

Given how many tight offside calls there are it's clear that 'level' is the default position for both attackers and defenders. If they are going to use VAR for offside, the rule has to change.
In Athletics, it's the sternum. That would be better than what's going on now. My preference would be for daylight. There would still be 'micro' calls, but at least the advantage would go to attacking play.
The other rule change or directive that would make a huge difference is if players were obligated to attempt to play on at ALL times. Anyone falling over at minor contact would forfeit a decision in their favour.

Happy with the result , but really want to know , why cancelo cant get a game. He is playing is even less than Danilo.

Frankly an ordinary performance, a dreadful game but 3 points more than welcome.

Lads looked tired throughout and no wonder with the schedule.

Shit ref not giving the foul on Kun but they then score a goal that should stand imo but yet again VAR ruins the fucking game for one set of fans and a game is changed because of it.

Yes he was offside but with the eye, the law that says benefit of the doubt to the attacker its a good goal and one given in every season i have watched the game barr this one.

Garcia played well, Kev MoM.
Im almost certain that refs where told to give the benefit of the doubt to attacking players years ago when the law was changed and that is what has happened since until VAR came along?
For me at least — and I actually think their disallowed goal should absolutely have stood — the referee didn’t really “do” anything to help us in that incident. The Sheffield player saw where the referee was before he played the pass and the Sheffield player behind him could only run through the back of the referee to get the ball — that is a mistake by the Sheffield player attempting the pass, not the referee’s fault.
He should have carted the ref to get there.

And while the laws never said to give benefit of the doubt to the attacker, there was additional guidance to assistants to raise the flag "only if you are sure the attacker is offside".

I'd like to see more of this formation, it allows us to attack down the middle, suits Mahrez, KdB and probably Bernardo. Makes a change from passing out to static wingers.

2 number 10s and a striker, width provided by wingbacks.
Why were the wingers static? There were umpteen times first half when Sterling could have moved inside for the ball rather than wanting for it on the wing then trying to beat two men and failing.

Last edited:
I think it is harsh to say it was “obvious”.

There was a later offside decision that was not obvious, and should not have seen the flag immediately go up, but we are used to those from every line referee this season, as that “if it is close, wait for the play to finish then have VAR assess” rule doesn’t apply to us.
It doesn't apply not only to us. PGMOL seem to have invented their own gloss on the IFAB instructions. Another reason why English refs won't be going to the World Cup again. (The main one being they're crap.)

VAR is what is is. It's the rules that are shite.

Given how many tight offside calls there are it's clear that 'level' is the default position for both attackers and defenders. If they are going to use VAR for offside, the rule has to change.
In Athletics, it's the sternum. That would be better than what's going on now. My preference would be for daylight. There would still be 'micro' calls, but at least the advantage would go to attacking play.
The other rule change or directive that would make a huge difference is if players were obligated to attempt to play on at ALL times. Anyone falling over at minor contact would forfeit a decision in their favour.

Well until they change it's application, the way they review it in match and what methods they use to determine decisions VAR is shite.

In italy the ref has final say and uses pitch side monitors, that should be the case here.

Or follow crickets method, the VAR is annoinced and the video with audio explanation is reviewed, clear and obvious and everyone knows what is happening.

The rules and applocation are both wrong atm.

Happy with the result , but really want to know , why cancelo cant get a game. He is playing is even less than Danilo.
Bizarre that over the Christmas period with so many games he does not even get on the pitch.

Something very strange with this one, maybe he does want out .

Well that was a farce. Sheff Utd seemed to have a perfectly good goal disallowed but in the second half when their forward was stood so far up the pitch he was actually in Droylsden, Massey didn't bother waving her pretty little flag. Obviously that cant be varred but had they scored from her stupidity, the subsequent corner, there would have been nothing we could do. Also I thought the large screens were there to tell us why the ref is stood around like a clueless lump of shit after a goal, yet we were all forced to guess that he was talking to the VAR team. Oh and they were an excellent team apart from when they weren't falling to the floor at the slightest contact.
Sexist and wrong. Of all the offside (or not offside) decisions she's made that have been shown on TV (and I've seen) I've never known her get one wrong. She's the best assistant we've got.

Last edited:
He looked onside and I assume it was his fringe playing him of, it looked a very good goal but I wqas making the point that later when their forward appeared to be 3 miles offside it was given and couldn't be varred. I have now been corrected by KippaxKing who said Garcia was playing him on.
Keegan would have had to get rid of that perm or he'd have been offside all the time.

Sexist and wrong. Of all the offside (or not offside) decisions she's made that have been shown on TV I've never known her get one wrong. She's the best assistant we've got.

She was awful at norwich away, I know I was right on pitchside.

And she missed or failed to flag the obvious foul on sergio and the blatant offside late on.

She is a decent enough lineman who runs the line well and keeps up with play better than some of the useless fuckers we see week in, but she still makes errors and made two yesterday

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.