Sheffield United (N) | FA Cup SF | Post-Match Thread

I thought that. The BBC didn’t seem to notice with their report suggesting there were gaps everywhere. Very poor turnout from Sheffield United considering they’ve not been to Wembley since 2009 or in a Wembley semi in living memory, and considering they’re from a big city.
Sold over 31000 tickets so not sure what you watched. Think both sides had equal numbers.

I have been reading this forum for a while, mainly to see City fans thoughts on how Doyle and McAtee are developing with us (both tremendously by the way) but thought as an SUFC fan would offer an alternative opinion on why we didn’t sell out.

The first obvious one is the cost. We have a core support of around 25,000, adding in a few big game supporters still doesn’t get us near the allocation. My Dad and I went yesterday, neither of us drink but still spent well over £200 between us. I’m fortunate to be able to but Sheffield is a largely working class City where larger families will have been priced out.

In terms of getting to watch the champions, there is not much fun going to a game where you know you are going to lose, have hardly any chances and about 20% possession where a collection of the world’s best players run rings around your team for large parts. I’m 32 and this is our 5th semi final watching United but first where I went with absolutely no expectation or really hope of a result. We did miss a chance early on through NDiaye but being realistic that would have just riled your players and you’d have beaten us by more. In a strange way I think we’d have sold more against Brighton or Man U because our fans would have believed we at least had a chance.

Our starting 11 cost £28m yesterday, 20 of which was on Berge. Within that there were 5 free transfers and an academy graduate. I don’t know how much all your players costs but I know at least a few starters cost around or more than our whole 11. We don’t play on a level playing field anymore. The gap between the top 2, the next 3 and the rest is bigger than ever. We are likely to go up but even then there’s going to be games next season where we turn up expecting to get hammered.

I have to say though this is absolutely not a dig at City, other clubs (your city rivals!) have spent far more for far less return. Pep is far and away the best manager in the business in how he refreshes tactics and teams where your rivals fail and struggle to compete with you season on season. You are currently the best team in the world and a joy to watch on TV, just not so much in person when it’s our team on the receiving end!

All the best for your run at the treble, would be great to see you pick up the Champions League this time around especially.
Checked the online ticket sales on Tuesday evening and there were less than 250 left. Seems strange. But it's now almost impossible to estimate numbers at Wembley with so many Wembley Club member seats.

I get it mate, 70.000 fans, both from the North is a fantastic turn out, good luck for next season back in the Prem...
Thing about Sheffield is neither have massive support. Wednesday haven't averaged 30000 since the mid sixties and only on 10 occasions in their 160 years history. We've only done it 11 times. Our excuse is we've never found our potential. Not one major honour since 1925/

Sold over 31000 tickets so not sure what you watched. Think both sides had equal numbers.
I was there. Two blocks unsold on the City side. Equivalent 2 blocks unsold on the Sheff U side but loads of empty seats in the other blocks including nearly all the expensive tier 1 seats, whereas all our blocks were full with a couple of minor exceptions.

The sniffer dog pre match was shite.
Saw about half a dozen City fans getting pulled to the side and not one had anything on them.

Checked the online ticket sales on Tuesday evening and there were less than 250 left. Seems strange. But it's now almost impossible to estimate numbers at Wembley with so many Wembley Club member seats.
Even on US TV (albeit British commentator and colour commentator), they talked about how bad it looks when the large swaths of corporate tickets don’t get used or, as the old player said, are in the bar enjoying the game on TV!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.