Sheffield United (N) | FA Cup SF | Post-Match Thread

Agreed....

And well done to mcfc_lads for highlighting it.

Totally agree. I live in Herts, much easier for me to get to Wembley but would have no issue travelling up north for the semi final at a neutral venue, it's the right thing to do.

I've read comments on various sites about the swathes of empty seats. From where I was sat (opposite side from the tunnel), most of the empty seats were in the corporate area by the tunnel and Club Wembley levels which are not allocated to the clubs.

There was a noticeable gap in the blades end in the block next to the tunnel but people should be fair, those seats are £80 for an adult and £70 for child/concession. I paid the £80 but I didn't have the travel cost and I would not pay £70 to take my son for a semi final. So it is really unfair for other fans and especially the press to harper on about it in a way to suggest either set of fans are not loyal enough.

A guy next to me brought his 3 kids, that's £290 just in tickets. I've seen other posts that then show travel costs and food. It's shocking and to put it in context some of the cost is comparable to some European away games which is just wrong for a semi final of a domestic cup.

I have been reading this forum for a while, mainly to see City fans thoughts on how Doyle and McAtee are developing with us (both tremendously by the way) but thought as an SUFC fan would offer an alternative opinion on why we didn’t sell out.

The first obvious one is the cost. We have a core support of around 25,000, adding in a few big game supporters still doesn’t get us near the allocation. My Dad and I went yesterday, neither of us drink but still spent well over £200 between us. I’m fortunate to be able to but Sheffield is a largely working class City where larger families will have been priced out.

In terms of getting to watch the champions, there is not much fun going to a game where you know you are going to lose, have hardly any chances and about 20% possession where a collection of the world’s best players run rings around your team for large parts. I’m 32 and this is our 5th semi final watching United but first where I went with absolutely no expectation or really hope of a result. We did miss a chance early on through NDiaye but being realistic that would have just riled your players and you’d have beaten us by more. In a strange way I think we’d have sold more against Brighton or Man U because our fans would have believed we at least had a chance.

Our starting 11 cost £28m yesterday, 20 of which was on Berge. Within that there were 5 free transfers and an academy graduate. I don’t know how much all your players costs but I know at least a few starters cost around or more than our whole 11. We don’t play on a level playing field anymore. The gap between the top 2, the next 3 and the rest is bigger than ever. We are likely to go up but even then there’s going to be games next season where we turn up expecting to get hammered.

I have to say though this is absolutely not a dig at City, other clubs (your city rivals!) have spent far more for far less return. Pep is far and away the best manager in the business in how he refreshes tactics and teams where your rivals fail and struggle to compete with you season on season. You are currently the best team in the world and a joy to watch on TV, just not so much in person when it’s our team on the receiving end!

All the best for your run at the treble, would be great to see you pick up the Champions League this time around especially.
Powers that be could have easily made those 20k or so tickets much cheaper, even free, or bundled them with travel to get more people at the ground supporting. They could have done numerous things to make it more affordable…but they didn’t because to a large degree those controlling the game are completely out of touch with most match going folk.

Good luck in the PL next year, you’ll likely only have to play they way you did against us and maybe Liverpool….all the best.

I'm not a big Gomez fan(yet) but I thought he did really well yesterday. He was brave and ambitious on the ball and wasn't afraid of the physical side. Still a way from a starter but a step in the right direction.
I just don't think he's a defender. Might he, and the team, be better off he was a left mid?

For a rags v Brighton game Wembley is not a bad option, Brighton have a longish journey themselves. Villa Park is more problematic with public transport etc than Wembley. For us and the Blades, OT or Hillsborough would have both been acceptable. When there was an all Sheffield semi both sets of fans insisted it should be at Wembley. For blues the novelty has certainly worn thin and the new Wembley lacks the magic of the old, sadly FA determined to hold all semis there.
Easy quick journey for brighton

If I had a pound for every time I heard "they all live in London anyway" from a Sheffield United fan yesterday, I'd have enough money to have taken advantage of the 4 cans for £23.50 offer at Wembley.

I have been reading this forum for a while, mainly to see City fans thoughts on how Doyle and McAtee are developing with us (both tremendously by the way) but thought as an SUFC fan would offer an alternative opinion on why we didn’t sell out.
Sheffield United refused to sign-up to that letter, and for that reason and that alone you will always be welcome in Manchester City circles.

I could see the Police getting hold of someone on the steps but didn't see what went on before. If was going on as we were walking up the steps to get the tube.

On another note, the tube we were on stopped at Baker Street and loads of people were getting on. Some Sheff Utd fans squeezed on and the door shut. There was a guy on the platform going mad, kicking & punching the tube door and shouting at this woman from Sheffield, who had got on. The train wasn't moving with this going on, so the police came over, didn't see if they just had a word or they got arrested, as the train pulled away. Not sure if it was one of our lot or another one of their own fans, but no idea why someone would be punching a door, trying to start on a woman. Maybe they had pushed in to get on the train, but the reaction seemed over the top, to say the least.
Didn’t see that, but we got off at Baker Street and there were a few Sheffield lads acting up, and some Leeds supporters still about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.