Should Alan Hansen be sacked for racism?

Lineker and lee Dixon knew he'd corpsed on MOTD after the second use they should have said something on air to Hanson but seems that talking about race is still a problem for the BBC. As for Hanson I guess its ignorance crayons are coloured not people

johnbmcr said:
Lineker and lee Dixon knew he'd corpsed on MOTD after the second use they should have said something on air to Hanson but seems that talking about race is still a problem for the BBC. As for Hanson I guess its ignorance crayons are coloured not people

I think you'll find that everything in the universe is coloured, including people.

Two things learnt about Hansen:

1. He lives under a rock if he thinks that 'coloured' is an appropriate term.

2. He has a good understanding of football in realising the importance of Komps to our team - something a lot of our fans fail to grasp.

good point about vincent his performance on weds was simply breathtaking

Reckon Hanson will go soon as the Mudochs were on his case about his £40,000 pay per show and the coloured issue will be another stick to beat him

on semi serious point the sun normally the most partisan of papers are stuck about what line to take with the Terry Suarez and now Hanson race stuff They hate the FA but when Terry cracks his trial and pleads guilty on the day to save the court time or because he'll claim he cannot get a fair hearing they’ll demand he stands down from the England team

strongbowholic said:
I used to like him and thought he was a really good pundit but I do think he is past his sell by date now. All he ever does is trot out the same clichés regarding defence week in, week out and has ended up pretty much a caricature of himself.

^^^ I agree

and can't help falling about every time I see this:-

(even though the aspect ration is all wrong)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7CgKvhpoo[/youtube]<br /><br />-- Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 pm --<br /><br />
SWP's back said:
didactic said:
This is really not an issue like I said before its when non blacks try to fight the cause of blacks that this type of thing is blown up. To the people saying "just because one black person says its ok, it means nothing." My family is 99% black, my friends about 80% black. I also know other people from work, gym, clubs, playing sports, bars who are black. None of them would find this offensive this is a NON ISSUE.

Lets worry about bigger things like JT who actually is a racist not some guy who also has black friends just speaking on TV.

*signed a coloured person.*

*goes back to watching the game while white people argue about what is acceptable to call black people and what we find disrespectful.*

As has been said, not everyone sees it that way:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.universities-scotland.ac.uk/raceequalitytoolkit/terminology.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.universities-scotland.ac.uk/ ... nology.htm</a>

Coloured

This term is used in Scotland (and elsewhere in the UK and North America) as an alternative to more derogatory names for visible minority ethnic peoples. This usage is now outdated, though it is a term that is still fairly commonly employed. The term tends to suggest that, in the user’s view, ”colour“ is an attribute possessed by all skin types other than white and can therefore be used as an identifier for “non-white” people. Today such usage tends to cause offence, or, at best, to indicate a naive or patronising approach in a multi-ethnic environment. A common term used in North America to denote all non-white people is “people of colour”. This term is not perceived as derogatory and aims to be inclusive of non-white people as well as people of mixed parentage and ancestry.

well dug out.

MCFCinUSA said:
strongbowholic said:
I used to like him and thought he was a really good pundit but I do think he is past his sell by date now. All he ever does is trot out the same clichés regarding defence week in, week out and has ended up pretty much a caricature of himself.

^^^ I agree

and can't help falling about every time I see this:-

(even though the aspect ration is all wrong)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7CgKvhpoo[/youtube]

-- Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 pm --

SWP's back said:
didactic said:
This is really not an issue like I said before its when non blacks try to fight the cause of blacks that this type of thing is blown up. To the people saying "just because one black person says its ok, it means nothing." My family is 99% black, my friends about 80% black. I also know other people from work, gym, clubs, playing sports, bars who are black. None of them would find this offensive this is a NON ISSUE.

Lets worry about bigger things like JT who actually is a racist not some guy who also has black friends just speaking on TV.

*signed a coloured person.*

*goes back to watching the game while white people argue about what is acceptable to call black people and what we find disrespectful.*

As has been said, not everyone sees it that way:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.universities-scotland.ac.uk/raceequalitytoolkit/terminology.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.universities-scotland.ac.uk/ ... nology.htm</a>

Coloured

This term is used in Scotland (and elsewhere in the UK and North America) as an alternative to more derogatory names for visible minority ethnic peoples. This usage is now outdated, though it is a term that is still fairly commonly employed. The term tends to suggest that, in the user’s view, ”colour“ is an attribute possessed by all skin types other than white and can therefore be used as an identifier for “non-white” people. Today such usage tends to cause offence, or, at best, to indicate a naive or patronising approach in a multi-ethnic environment. A common term used in North America to denote all non-white people is “people of colour”. This term is not perceived as derogatory and aims to be inclusive of non-white people as well as people of mixed parentage and ancestry.

well dug out.

I agree good debating point but wrong continent

this is the UK not america where they called disabled people 'differently abled' despite disabled people themselves not wanting to use that term so its not really as inclusive or empowering as it first sounds The USA have a habit of wanting to soften terms about race because of the history i.e the equal but separate education acts the slavery the fact legitimated apartheid existed in criminal justice transport jobs education in many states until quite recently

I recall an film from the 2nd world war in which a posh man thanked the yanks for coming over to save our butts from the Nazis and goes on to explain to white american soldiers that when their black comrades got on trains and buses or were in a cafe in the UK they could sit down and not have to offer the seat to a white person

echoes here of the Suarez affair about what's acceptable in the prevailing culture and coloured at the worst is border line racist /offensive even the most generous interpretation in my view its ignorant & clumsy I think that latter description fits Hanson well

I'm a Brit who spends a lot of his time in the US John, so I know better than most what you're talking about.

However, a lot of this 'PC' business is out of hand on both sides of the Atlantic, as it is often the intent and the action, not the semantics of vocabulary (this isn't a defense of Saurez) that should be considered.

I don't think Hansen has much to answer for other than being a little out-dated in his localised vernacular - but then so is his commentary/opinion!

;o)

I also thought Rodney Marsh's joke about Beckham and the Toon Army was funny, and even if in bad taste should be defended from a free speech perspective.. you cannot place taboos on humour, it's just not possible and an utter waste of time in my opinion. People should have better things to do with themselves. It's rather like a Jeremy Clarkson situation, but far less extreme. The Beeb stuck up for him because he's more important to their programming, but Sky threw Rodders under the bus - even though the clamour wasn't as fanciful as the Prime Minister et al harping on about a joke FFS.

sometimes you wonder where perspective has gone - out of the window??

anything that got the offensive pustule that is Rodney Marsh off our screens was a good thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.