Should Alan Hansen be sacked for racism?

SWP's back said:
The Goat 10 said:
SWP's back said:
Not really, he was ignorant, a few people complained, he apologised.

No one died, was sacked etc, so what is blown out of proportion?

The reaction in the first place, he comes from a generation which will have referred to black people as 'coloured' for years, so therefore he intended no racism what's so ever. Admittedly today it's not as acceptable but Hansen as I said wasn't to know that therefore calling for him to be sacked for racism is blown out of proportion.
Very few called for him to be sacked. The OP of this thread is a WUM and wanted to start an argument (and succeeded).

My Dad's no racist but calls black people coloured and won't change. However Hansen should probably know better as he is paid 7 figures to give his opinions on a weekly basis.

-- Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm --

Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot said:
SWP's back said:
Yes, calling someone a fat ****, ugly **** or ginger **** is fine.

There is a huge difference between that and calling them a black ****. See the CPS's verdict on whether Terry should go to court. One is an insult, one would get you arrested potentially.

I understand that but I really don't see the difference calling someone a ugly/fat **** oppose to a black **** they both are offensive and refer to ones appearance..... If I said "what a good looking black **** that guy is" whats the difference to me saying "what a good looking black guy he is" are these both racist or just the one with the word **** in it? Or are neither racist because it was posed as a compliment and not an insult??

(I'm litrally not wumming or taking the piss here I just want to understand the rights and wrongs of using the word black when describing someones skin colour as I don't want to come off as racist/offensive)
You can't use skin colour in the pejorative in the UK.

Whether right or wrong, someone else decide. I am just saying what the law states (see Suarez and Terry for very recent high profile examples).

Saying a "good looking black guy" is not in the pejorative and so would not be construed as being racist. Calling someone "an ugly black ****" would. If this upsets, please don't blame me, but society/the lawmakers.

Not at all SWP I'm not having a pop at you mate just trying to get my head around it.... and I agree with everything you said we can't use skin colour in the pejorative in the UK....

What annoys me is like what I stated in one of my earlier posts today is about the 4 Somalian girls who beat a white girl up calling her a "white slag" then got off scot free as the judge claimed "they aren't use to drinking (due to their Muslim religion)" Neither black or white people are to blame for this whole racist card bollcoks but the UK's (like you said) society/lawmakers....

Bollocks PC at it's very finest and the 84 or whatever people who complained to the bbc need to get their priorities in check...

SWP's back said:
The Goat 10 said:
The reaction in the first place, he comes from a generation which will have referred to black people as 'coloured' for years, so therefore he intended no racism what's so ever. Admittedly today it's not as acceptable but Hansen as I said wasn't to know that therefore calling for him to be sacked for racism is blown out of proportion.
Very few called for him to be sacked. The OP of this thread is a WUM and wanted to start an argument (and succeeded).

My Dad's no racist but calls black people coloured and won't change. However Hansen should probably know better as he is paid 7 figures to give his opinions on a weekly basis.

-- Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm --

I understand that but I really don't see the difference calling someone a ugly/fat **** oppose to a black **** they both are offensive and refer to ones appearance..... If I said "what a good looking black **** that guy is" whats the difference to me saying "what a good looking black guy he is" are these both racist or just the one with the word **** in it? Or are neither racist because it was posed as a compliment and not an insult??

(I'm litrally not wumming or taking the piss here I just want to understand the rights and wrongs of using the word black when describing someones skin colour as I don't want to come off as racist/offensive)
You can't use skin colour in the pejorative in the UK.

Whether right or wrong, someone else decide. I am just saying what the law states (see Suarez and Terry for very recent high profile examples).

Saying a "good looking black guy" is not in the pejorative and so would not be construed as being racist. Calling someone "an ugly black ****" would. If this upsets, please don't blame me, but society/the lawmakers.

Not at all SWP I'm not having a pop at you mate just trying to get my head around it.... and I agree with everything you said we can't use skin colour in the pejorative in the UK....

What annoys me is like what I stated in one of my earlier posts today is about the 4 Somalian girls who beat a white girl up calling her a "white slag" then got off scot free as the judge claimed "they aren't use to drinking (due to their Muslim religion)" Neither black or white people are to blame for this whole racist card bollcoks but the UK's (like you said) society/lawmakers....

Bollocks PC at it's very finest and the 84 or whatever people who complained to the bbc need to get their priorities in check...
I agree wholeheartedly with every word of that mate. The case you mention made my blood boil. Those slags should be serving time (and the boyfriend needed to grow a set and learn how to hit people without falling over).

He should be sacked for being an awful pundit but not for saying "coloured". Yes it's not right or politically correct but i know many people his age who say "coloured". It's a generation thing, he apologised so that should be the end of it.

I still want him sacked though because no punditry should be worth 40k a time especially his cringey clueless kind.

SWP's back said:

Twitter did... if that's of any relevance these days. The fact it's made the news and he's apologised is out of proportion imo. The fact there's a 16 page thread on here about it is out of proportion. He's a little out of touch and possibly a bit ignorant, nothing more.

So we all agree that Hansen should get sacked but not because he said coloured but because he's an out of date **** that knows fuck all about football???

Thats fine by me!

It's been nearly a decade since I left Primary School, and then we were told by teachers that it was respectful to use the word coloured and best to avoid using the terms Black and Asian. Now we're told its best not to use any term, so its a ridiculously delicate situation we're in in society now.

GStar said:
SWP's back said:

Twitter did... if that's of any relevance these days. The fact it's made the news and he's apologised is out of proportion imo. The fact there's a 16 page thread on here about it is out of proportion. He's a little out of touch and possibly a bit ignorant, nothing more.
Half of this thread is talking about other subjects though, the other half saying he shouldn't be sacked. I bet there isn't more than half a dozen people on here that thinks he should be sacked for saying "coloured". As I say, the OP is a wum and has been banned more times than Liam.

No , tbh theres a lot of people who say coloured now, i go to college people say black or coloured, but no one automatically thinks your racist or cares really. this is very Politically correct :)

Seosa said:
It's been nearly a decade since I left Primary School, and then we were told by teachers that it was respectful to use the word coloured and best to avoid using the terms Black and Asian. Now we're told its best not to use any term, so its a ridiculously delicate situation we're in in society now.

So you are about 20 and you were taught to use the term coloured? Was this your teacher?

sir_alf_garnett.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.