Should Alan Hansen be sacked for racism?

The cookie monster said:
A couple of my mates still say coloured..

In fact as bizzare as it sounds they actually think if they say black its sounds worse..

up to about the early 70's coloured was considered a 'polite' word &, bizarre as it sounds now, black was considered an impolite & harsh term for a person. coloured was likewise always used in the usa. then many blacks in the usa declared that they were black not coloured & the afro caribbean community followed suit over here.

"say it loud, i'm black & i'm proud" was a james brown song from 1968 & became widely quoted by black militants in the usa. about the same time there was a play over here entitled "i'm not coloured i'm black" reflecting the shift in the way afro caribbean people preferred to be known.

To be fair I didnt realise it was an offensive term.

It's not one that I use but it used to be the PC way of describing black people.

moomba said:
To be fair I didnt realise it was an offensive term.

It's not one that I use but it used to be the PC way of describing black people.

Exactly. I do use black to described coloured people, but would have no idea I could offend anyone using such a simple word like coloured!

If he's working on live TV, particularly for the BBC, he probably has to attend 3 or 4 diversity training programmes a year. The fact that people haven't used the word "coloured" to describe black people for 30 years simply cannot have passed him by. I don't think he's racist, I just think he's ignorant.

Johnsonontheleft said:
Lucky Toma said:
Congrats JotL. With only days to go you've managed to squeeze in your 500th thread related to racism for 2011.
I was dreading you being stuck on 499 and not realising.

I didn't want to deny you your 500th reply this year where you fail to make a meaningful contribution to the thread and have a personal pop at me.

You're welcome.

How shall we celebrate my one-dimensional WUM-chum?

No.

The irony is, in his own out of date way, he will have been trying to be as non-offensive as he could be and (incorrectly) chose that word to reflect that.

He's an old man, influenced by the language of his time and nothing more (or at least nothing more to my knowledge).

I cannot stand the legions of "PC gone mad", "you can't say anything these days" bores like the OP and Clarkson who make it their lives work to try to make out that they are some sort of persecuted little lambs just because they are expected by society to temper their language and offensive opinions in public.

However, the furore around any use of this word is one where I have sympathy with the view. I have never heard it used by someone with the express intent to be racist. People with those intentions use far worse language and imagery. Yet there is always a queue to jump on people like Hansen, with the irony being that his intention was completely the opposite.

Yes, I understand why people want the use of it to be discouraged. But I don't think there should even be pressure on him to publicly apologise as it is no more than a generational misunderstanding.

He should now educate himself and learn his lesson. I cringed when I heard him say it but only because I knew he would get grief for something that was the opposite of his intentions.

There are a lot more worthy, more important causes in the same field that are much more worthy of people fighting against.

Within thirty years no-one will even hear the word in that context as all those who are used to it being the polite term will be dead.

How the hell is the word "coloured" offensive.....FFS. It's not a nasty or patronising word.

But yes Hansen should be sacked for being so boring.

Been thinking about this (always a dangerous thing I know), but I wonder if Hansen used this term deliberately to provoke the debate around Suarez?

Here we all are agreeing it's an anachronism and almost excusing him due to age which sort of falls into the "context" part of the dippers' pro-Suarez argument?

Or maybe I'm crediting Hansen with more intelligence than he actually has?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.